Board Bag Restrictions 2022 Q's

cuda

Aug 23, 2007
Vo Dielun. AKA Rhode Island
going out of my mind trying to plan a trip to Mexico or maybe CR and seeing board bag length restrictions being major downer as if the fares weren't depressing enough. lol, sigh.

I've traveled in the pre pandemic with a triple midlength bag (8' length) with 2 boards without any issue other than being expensive.
Now it seems that the majority of airlines restrict bag length to either 115" or 126". this is a L + W+ D number. so basically a 6'6" bag.
or a day bag o_O .
Any one flown out of Providence or Boston this year and had any success with toting a bigger bag? If so what airline?
thanks

Brrr

Mar 9, 2020
Rhode Island
going out of my mind trying to plan a trip to Mexico or maybe CR and seeing board bag length restrictions being major downer as if the fares weren't depressing enough. lol, sigh.

I've traveled in the pre pandemic with a triple midlength bag (8' length) with 2 boards without any issue other than being expensive.
Now it seems that the majority of airlines restrict bag length to either 115" or 126". this is a L + W+ D number. so basically a 6'6" bag.
or a day bag o_O .
Any one flown out of Providence or Boston this year and had any success with toting a bigger bag? If so what airline?
thanks
8 foot bag out of PVD, Jet Blue, no issues. Boston we flew American, also 8 foot bag, no issues.

Mattmercurie

Jan 29, 2021
MA
Flew out of Boston two weeks on AA. 9'6 board bag. No issues. 150 bucks to get it down and only 30 bucks to bring it back.

lito_outside

Oct 16, 2020
Minneapolis, MN
Contra @Jellz ’s experience, flew United MSP > SJO and got whacked with a $235 fee [edit: for a 7’6 bag, 30lbs with a single mid and other stuff in it]. I believe they have special policies for CA > CR, so be wary coming from the northeast. Will report back how much I pay going home.

Last edited:

cuda

Aug 23, 2007
Vo Dielun. AKA Rhode Island
Called Delta. What a joke. Unless your good waves boards are a 5’10 and a 6’2” they aren’t flying with D. Looked at United. Departure and Arrivals were odd so passed.
Ended up Booked AA PVD -SJO. Low expectations on a reasonable bag fees. Just hoping they check it.
Picked up their Mastercard for $200 off. Figure that will cover at least one way bag fee and I can pump and dump the card for 4Ok ff miles.

Members online