Black Rose Mfg. who has tried them?

slideright

Oct 19, 2006
I am thinking of getting a custom from Black Rose and was seeing if anyone has any input or reviews.
In particular, I am torn between the Fine Swine and the Deviated Septum.

SeniorGrom

Mar 20, 2012
USA New Jersey
A buddy who has ridden JQ noseriders by Ricky Carrol over the years just got the Deviated Septum about 9 months ago. He’s a talented goofy footer and rides it really well in our local beach break conditions here in NJ.

Artz

Nov 22, 2018
Florida
I haven’t had one under my feet. At the Surf Expo I did spend a lot of time looking over and feeling up the Black Rose Boards. Like all Ricky Carroll Boards they are pure quality. JQ has come up with some nice shapes. I know you are looking for a ride report. Maybe someone else can chime in on how they ride.

dtorrent

Jun 21, 2004
I really liked the Dark Horse/JQ model I had. The one I had was pretty thin and foiled and worked really well in everything. I also rode a friend's Deviated Septum a bit, this model has so much belly in the bottom it wasn't for me (or my friend). We both thought that the Dark Horse/JQ was better suited to us and our waves. Just my .02 worth

Spritzer

Apr 27, 2019
Virginia Beach
I've been on the search for a Dark Horse in the VA area, the local shop can't really keep them in stock, only heard great things about them.

billypilgrim

Sep 4, 2018
Wilmington
I have been riding a 9'4" JQ for the last couple of years. Excellent board. Has worked for me on the East, West and Gulf Coast in a variety of conditions. Mine is thin with foiled rails but lots of surface area. I have heard that the fine swine goes insane. I checked a few out the last time I was at R&D and they look so good.

Haven't owned a Black Rose, but a lot of my friends that longboard back in Florida think Ricky Carroll makes the best logs in the state. I would have to agree. He is a master shaper and criminally underrated. You can't go wrong with one of his boards. There is a reason he is a 3x winner of the Icons of Foam shape-off.