Black Friday anti sale ad- thoughts ?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by michael, Dec 1, 2019.

1. michael

michael Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    NJ
    What do you guys think of this ad?

In a world where everything is on sale for a few days, some guised as giving back for the holidays, others to pump up sales, do you think this method is:
    effective?
    prideful?
    entitled?
    empowering?

How do you guys value your local shops (do you expect store sales and your own loyalty to the shop to equal eventual saved money?)

What sort of attitude do you expect of them?

Would this have to be your favorite shop, or your only shop, for this to fly? Or is it understandable as is?

Perhaps it’s a perfectly valid “take it or leave it” attitude?

opinions welcome

Note, not looking for people to take shots at glide here.

D9EC82FF-772D-4F52-B763-E722DA85874B.jpeg

2. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Brick and mortar retail is so tough today! What a commitment.

3. Bighouse

Bighouse Active Member

Feb 21, 2012
    East End, Long Island
    Managed a surf shop, it sucked ! Big ups to those who do it.

4. Ricksurfin

Ricksurfin Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2019
    So Cal
    Why thank you, lol. My last day is December 15th. Then, full time surfer and craft beer drinker.

cheyneskeezer, Artz and michael like this.
  5. Thomas Morra

Thomas Morra Member

Sep 2, 2019
    Rhode Island
    Either way is fine with me. I know that people need to make a living, so at a *whatever* percentage markup, that’s a lot of surfboards/wetsuits/gear. My local shop gives me good deals all year long. I grabbed a wetsuit yesterday, just because my 6/5/4 was leaking (just found out), and I know that the price the owner gave me would be the same regardless of when I bought it.

Having said that, I don’t fault other shops for marking up or down how they see fit to run their business the way they want to. I own a small business and I have to charge a lot of money to pay my employees well, offer paid time off and benefits, training, etc, so if a surfboard or a wetsuit is X amount more than from some giant online retailer, I’ll still pay that difference for the better service and to support my local economy.

Tom

shadydave likes this.
  6. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    I saw that, too. It's a different strategy, not necessarily bad. They do have pretty high quality, higher price stuff, so I can't blame them for not running a sale. The tough thing is that consumers have come to expect huge holiday sales with epic markdowns. Not sure. Even a small sale is a great way to boost your volume. But as stated above, it's a tough time to be brick-and-mortar.

Speaking of Small Business Saturday strategies, here's something I saw posted yesterday by the Beach House in Bay Head. I thought this was incredibly rad and deserves a shout out. They collected some used-but-still-good winter suits and are giving them away for people who maybe don't currently have the expendable cash to buy a new one. Talk about spreading the stoke! Good on them.

670143B7-42E0-4B7B-9868-D33BDC7AFABB.jpeg

Sparky, pefa, Dawnpatrol and 5 others like this.
  7. kpd73

kpd73 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2013
    USA Rhode Island
    I love and Live for this kind of stuff. Rad Showing by the BeachHouse! -nice ass suits too-

In answer to your question Michael?- insane online deal - go for it, what its there for.

And best way to score at your local and stoke the owner out- Ca$h is King - especially round ye olde holidays.

njrider likes this.
  8. shadydave

shadydave Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    If you owned a small business you would/should understand what small business Saturday is all about and should support your local small business men and woman at every chance you get. Just my $.02. With me it’s all about the service and not the price. And yes my wife and I own a small business and have a great appreciation for those that support us. :)

Jaimo, pefa, Knots and 4 others like this.
  9. Spritzer

Spritzer Member

Apr 27, 2019
    Virginia Beach
    I think a sale is always appreciated, even something small like a few dollars off fins with purchase of a board, but not at all required for a local surf shop, for me to spend my money.
    I've always had friendly encounters, excellent customer service, great talks and laughs just hanging out, they know my family. So for me, the surf shop is more than just a business, they offer an experience no online big box discounter ever could, and I wouldn't trade that to save a few bucks.

shadydave and Thomas Morra like this.
  10. John

John Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Rehoboth Beach, DE
    This is something that has been on my mind recently. As the big on-line retailers grow, the smaller core shops are disappearing. I'm worried that in the future, kids will only know the mega surf shops and on-line retailers. I needed a new wetsuit so I bought a new one this weekend from my local shop. In the end, I could have saved $60 if I bought it on-line from a mega-retailer but I'm hoping our support will keep the small shops in business for years to come.

Dawnpatrol and shadydave like this.