Attachments

• 5th Degree Logo.jpg
    5th Degree Logo.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: JTS

Mgc51

Jan 29, 2020
LA
Bjj is a lot it fun, I’ve trained on and off for over 10 years. Injuries can be pretty common but it really depends on how and where you train.
If you want to start training, just show up at a gym and don’t overthink it

cheyneskeezer

May 30, 2017
Long Beach CA
Just down the street from Huntington at Marina Pacifica, but Kevin and Haley are the nicest people you’ll ever meet, and a great surf family.
Such good people they’ve been my neighbors for years and we didn’t even know it until recently. Now we talk daily great folks

txgrinder

Jan 11, 2020
Surfside Beach, TX
Did you compete? The injury thing gets me a bit worried to get into it but I know how much benefit bjj can give and need another vice besides surf.

I didn't compete. I just did it for health reasons to stay in shape an get rid of some of my angst at the time LOL....I don't want to discourage you, but rather point out what I didn't think about at the time I started. I wish someone had told me. Even rolling chill style can go wrong without meaning to.

sightpoint

Jan 28, 2014
2' and onshore
Not to derail this because I think there's merit in training in any type of martial art and if you can find exceptional instruction, go for it, especially if you want to study it for self defense. But my unsolicited two cents is... tai chi. Or Pa Kua. Maybe Hsing I. Get twisty and strong and balanced with waayyyy less risk of injury (maybe more applicable to older folks like me).

Last edited:

JTS

Mar 24, 2005
I started training 4 years ago, I was 57 at the time. I really enjoy it , as far as injuries- I’ve had a few smaller ones. The thing with BJJ is you can tap, if a guy is establishing an arm bar & you don’t know or cant ex3cute an escape , tap! There is no point in fighting to the death in training, leave your ego at the door. This maybe where it is better to be old- there is no shame for me to tap. Shit most guys my age are on the golf course not the mats. I am not very good but it is fun, like being a kid again wrestling with your brothers.
I’ve made some really good friends training.

as far as suggestions
1 find a gym the matches up with you, are you looking to compete? Find one that focuses on competition.if you are self defense focus3 find one that does that. Some are family friendly, others are younger guys who think/want to be in the UFC. Most places will give you a free class to try it. I trained at 1 place for about 18 months, earned my blue belt there, but later moved to a place closer to my house where the focus and vibe is better for me. Still good friends with many players from the first place and we train together sometimes

2 realize the first 3-6 months (at least) are pretty frigging hard. Your cardio probably is not going to be where you want to be.You probably aren’t used to moving that way, don’t know the positions or what they are talking about. ( Base ? Frame? Hip out? Shrimp? WTF) Relax nobody is good at first. Also RELAX when you roll, everyone seems to go too hard as a white belt

3 choose your training partners carefully. I once heard “white belts with good intentions wrecked more training partners than Black belts with bad intentions “ Stay away from white belts until you understand who is dangerous to you or not. As counterintuitive as it sounds roll and train with upper belts, they will teach you more and have better control over outcomes. I also avoid training with guys getting ready for competition usually- their mindset is not what I want to get involved with. I am fortunate that I’m usually the oldest guy on the mats so not viewed as a threat , besides you get no street cred stomping a mud hole in the old dude!

4 focus on fundamentals, BJJ is a deep subject, no one gets it in a year or two
Wow just saw how much I wrote hahaha
I am sure there are some good schools in Huntington Beach
Good luck
Jim

floated

May 17, 2019
Santa Barbara
So much rad advice I really appreciate it. Although everyone talks about the possibility of injuries I’m still (and even more so after hearing all your experiences) stoked to try it out. I can see how rewarding it is to put in the work and the discipline it teaches in itself is well worth the effort.

thanks y’all! I’ll keep all those interested updated on my journey here, will be starting to take and feel around for free classes in the next couple months.

and please keep sharing, the more I know the better!