Beware: Car Stolen from Scripps

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Will Hutchison, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Will Hutchison

Will Hutchison New Member

May 10, 2019
    La Jolla
    Aloha All,

After a very good session on my surf mat on Tuesday afternoon, I returned to where I'd parked my car 45 minutes earlier along the southbound side of La Jolla Shores Drive in front of Scripps Institution, at the top of the stairs. No car there. Disappointing and frustrating, as well as surprising, the mean streets of La Jolla Shores!

Be wary folks. I am not sure if I was targeted, I don't know if 8-year-old Mazda 3s are sought after or not, but the thieves made out with my car, about $200 cash, my wedding ring, two fantastic fins (Kumano system on both!), among other items. It was locked, with a lockbox on the door, I checked the box and doors before leaving the car.

2. pintail

pintail Active Member

Feb 19, 2004
    LA, California
    Sorry to learn about that. I keep my car key on a line around my neck, and only bring a driver's license, hidden in the car. No worries at all.

3. SdSurferguy

SdSurferguy Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    USA
    Damn, that is terrible. I know Scripps is notorious for this, especially break ins. I think quick access to freeways (5 and 52) is part of the reason why. By the time you got out of the water your car was already 20 miles south. When doing break ins they'll usually hit a few cars at the same time, I remember a few years ago they got into nearly a dozen cars in under 30min. I usually park at LJ Shores and walk north. Not sure what the break in rate is in the LJ parking lot but it seems like more people are milling around and hanging out keeping an eye on things.

I'm w/ Pintail, I've started only bringing my ID and a $20 bill when surfing in the morning. No wallet and no valuables whatsoever. Key is always kept in my wetsuit.

Make claims on auto and renters insurance (if you rent). Try to make a list of everything in the car, even the small "worthless" stuff. Everything has value. Hopefully you'll make $$ on the stolen car and come out ahead.

4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    Sorry you had to go through that and for the loss of your wedding ring.

Funny that it was a Mazda. Twice, in '88 and '89 when I was in high school, I got out of a winter session at Scripps to find that my friends' tucks had been stolen. B2000 in both cases. Lame to be cold and wet and trying to figure out how to call someone with a car to come and get us. Ended up both times walking down to the Shores to find a pay phone and called 911, who sent police, who called our parents... thieves suck.

Maybe our thief with a Mazda fetish moved back to town. Or got out of jail. Or is raising his son in the good ol' family tradition...