Best Summer Surf in Northern Baja for a Month?

KDenning

May 14, 2015
Ventura, CA
LONG story short we've got the month of July to kill with no work and no rent in Ventura.

We were thinking of renting a house down in Encinitas but then my fiance asked if it would be worth looking in to renting in Baja.

We longboard together and enjoy mellow points but we're both goofy so a left would be a welcome change.

Any suggestions welcome! We'll be bringing our dogs with us if that makes a difference in anyone's opinion.

I haven't looked into the border crossing situation at this time and I'm hoping that it clears up by July 1st regardless. I got my hands on a copy of the surfer's guide but nothing beats the knowledge here.

Looking for:

- pet friendly beaches
- $1800 - $2800 for the month
- fun surf close by, preferably a left with south summer swell
- safe and comfortable (not sure if I needed to list this one but it is me and my fiance, not me and my college buddies)

Thanks in advance!
Kirk

Bummer Dude

Jul 8, 2019
Oak View
Can't say what you all consider safe and comfortable, but if you're looking for very safe (gated community) maybe look into a long term rental at las gaviotas. Fun longboard wave that picks up south.

KDenning

May 14, 2015
Ventura, CA
Can't say what you all consider safe and comfortable, but if you're looking for very safe (gated community) maybe look into a long term rental at las gaviotas. Fun longboard wave that picks up south.

Las Gaviotas keeps coming up whenever we ask around about "safe" places to stay. We normally spend 2 months of the year living out of our van in the back country and the rest of the year on Pierpont in Ventura so I'd say our standard for safety is "high." Lol

We're getting married on July 31st so I decided to take that month off from building for my next client as a pre-wedding honey moon of sorts.

We're looking to try and find a pet friendly rental in Las Gaviotas at the moment! Thank you for the suggestion.

Bummer Dude

Jul 8, 2019
Oak View
Las Gaviotas keeps coming up whenever we ask around about "safe" places to stay. We normally spend 2 months of the year living out of our van in the back country and the rest of the year on Pierpont in Ventura so I'd say our standard for safety is "high." Lol

We're getting married on July 31st so I decided to take that month off from building for my next client as a pre-wedding honey moon of sorts.

We're looking to try and find a pet friendly rental in Las Gaviotas at the moment! Thank you for the suggestion.

If you can't find anything that accepts dogs there. I've enjoyed staying at La Fonda and La Mision a little down the road with kids and dogs, never felt unsafe. Peakier wave in my experience at La Fonda and La Mision hasn't ever really worked for me. Plenty of options further south, but my experience there is more camping trips with the boys.

KDenning

May 14, 2015
Ventura, CA
Another option: Rent in Oceanside (very similar to many places in Baja safety-wise) then just drive to SanO every day? You could eat Mexican food every meal and most importantly—- warm longboard waves everyday nearly 100% of the time.
This is a killer point. Originally the plan was to do Encinitas for a month - believe it or not monthly rentals in North County are more affordable than our long term rental in Ventura. I'd say my fiance is a little bit more "adventurous" and always pushes us to go out of our way to do the more exciting option lol. In this case, that's Baja.

We're leaning towards 2 weeks in Baja (Ensenada?) and 2 weeks somewhere between Oceanside and Encinitas. Planning to go to Baja first before a couple weeks in North County.

Human

Nov 20, 2016
Oceanside
What Fishy said.

Also, if you can find a dog-friendly rental at Gaviota's I'm all ears. It is my understanding that only owners can bring pets.

Lastly, keep in mind that Oceanside and Ventura are relatively similar, if not the same place entirely.

KDenning

May 14, 2015
Ventura, CA
I'd drive the extra hours to San Juanico.
We’ll probably save that until we’re back in Ventura after summer. It’s what, 15 hours south of the border?

I’ve got three client’s vans to build and then I’ll be building a rig for myself, wife, and two dogs to explore a bit more of Baja. Looking forward to surfing that far south one day, though!

KDenning

May 14, 2015
Ventura, CA
What Fishy said.

Also, if you can find a dog-friendly rental at Gaviota's I'm all ears. It is my understanding that only owners can bring pets.

Lastly, keep in mind that Oceanside and Ventura are relatively similar, if not the same place entirely.
Lol yes they are. We’ve found a great monthly in Encinitas as a backup in case we don’t decide to cross the border. Fiancé and I are both goofy so it’s nice to get a break from out tight points at home.

That’s my impression too from about half an hour of research regarding dogs in Gaviotas.