Best North East Winter accessories

Brrr

Mar 9, 2020
Rhode Island
I second the winter trip move as well. Nice cyber Mon deals out there.

I still use wetsox. I used to use plastic bags. Maybe I should upgrade. Sometimes the Wetsox would cut off blood circulation on my big toes.

Going to test the idea of a poncho so I can go straight from ocean to home with full gear on under the poncho + an extra towel to keep the seat dry.

Anyone else do this?
I have a changing poncho aka the snuggie. I have neoprene seat covers and have used it to drive home full gear, but I get an unhappy wife tracking wet sandy wetsuit through the house. I have yet to install an outdoor shower, but have driven home just wearing the snuggie (another option). I usually find the 5 minutes of suffering is better than driving home with your wetsuit still on lol.

The boot dryer has yet to eff up my boots or gloves. Going on 10 years with mine.

kyle

Jun 2, 2010
I have a changing poncho aka the snuggie. I have neoprene seat covers and have used it to drive home full gear, but I get an unhappy wife tracking wet sandy wetsuit through the house. I have yet to install an outdoor shower, but have driven home just wearing the snuggie (another option). I usually find the 5 minutes of suffering is better than driving home with your wetsuit still on lol.

The boot dryer has yet to eff up my boots or gloves. Going on 10 years with mine.
Aiiight, nice to read this.

I’m still up for the 5 min of torture unless its 15+ mph side shores. But then again, that hot bottle of water I just poured on myself helped.

FalseDawn

Dec 21, 2015
Aquidneck Island Rhode Island

I still use wetsox. I used to use plastic bags. Maybe I should upgrade. Sometimes the Wetsox would cut off blood circulation on my big toes.

Going to test the idea of a poncho so I can go straight from ocean to home with full gear on under the poncho + an extra towel to keep the seat dry.

Anyone else do this?
95% of the time I do. Weathertech floor mats or similar are great to have to collect the water.
I'll get undressed in the garage out of the elements, throw everything in Curve changing mat/bag and sprint to the shower.

JVRI

Nov 15, 2021
Rhode Island
I'll second the boot/glove dryer that Michael posted. I bought one a few years ago and its fantastic, has not effected integrity of my boots or gloves. The one I have has a switch for heat or no heat. I'll typically dry the gloves and boots with "no heat" but 20mins before I'm gonna leave the house I'll throw them through a quick cycle of "heat". Makes getting changed in the lot a little cozier.

I'll also second a hanging wetsuit dryer like Dave mentioned. Absolutely crucial if you want to get in the water as much as possible and don't have backup suits. Honestly I use mine year round because I hate putting on a wet, wetsuit. I've tried the brand "HangAir" before, its kind of cheap thin plastic and my water logged 5/4 cracked the hanger. I picked up the Blawesome (stupid name) last year and its awesome. Compact, powerful and uses a strong carabiner. Dries a 5/4 overnight.

Outside

Dec 12, 2021
Garden City, NY
Hello All, I'm not sure if they're still made but the terry cloth poncho I change inside of has a label that reads The Original Change-A-Robe 800 335-4852. I bought two, one for NY and one for NC. I change by standing in a Rubbermaid bin and peel off the suit while inside of the poncho. Warm and dry on the drive home, the suit gets rinsed in the bin to rinse most of the sand outside, and washed hung at home ( inside of a shower, or an a fat hanger over a stainless steel sink in the basement, warmed and dried by the furnace in the Winter) I have a boot dryer in NC, several pairs of them and gloves.

Unleash My Log

Oct 20, 2021
Rhode Island

Anyone else do this?
Been doing this for years... It's a full on Gorton's Fisherman yellow overalls and raincoat.

Turn the raincoat inside out to make it slide on easier.

I still get some water on the floor of the truck, not much though. Maybe I'll get cheap rubber boots to drive home with that might catch the water. Not sure.

I doff my suit in my hot shower. Then throw it all in a big drybag and bring it down cellar to hang dry next to a fan and dehumidifier.

Accessories:
Wetsox liners on my feet and under my Patagonia gloves. Things slide so easy with them.
Those underlayer shorts and vest also.

Unleash My Log

Oct 20, 2021
Rhode Island
Hello All, I'm not sure if they're still made but the terry cloth poncho I change inside of has a label that reads The Original Change-A-Robe 800 335-4852. I bought two, one for NY and one for NC. I change by standing in a Rubbermaid bin and peel off the suit while inside of the poncho. Warm and dry on the drive home, the suit gets rinsed in the bin to rinse most of the sand outside, and washed hung at home ( inside of a shower, or an a fat hanger over a stainless steel sink in the basement, warmed and dried by the furnace in the Winter) I have a boot dryer in NC, several pairs of them and gloves.
Put some grippy on the bottom of that rubbermaid bin! I went ass over teakettle standing in mine because the bottom slipped

(Someone threw me a water bottle that I tried to catch)

RobG814

Apr 27, 2020
North Carolina
I have a waterproof seat cover that I throw on my seat and drive home in my wetsuit or trunks after most sessions. It was cheap and works great, been using it for a couple years:

Leader Accessories Black Waterproof Sweat Towel Seat Cover Universal Non-Slip for Car Truck SUV Seat for Dog & Kid Workout Outdoor OR Sport Activities https://a.co/d/8nNl7ve

I have recently run into an issue where my seatbelt has soaked up so much salt water that it’s a little crusty and stiff and no longer retracts when I unbuckle. Going to try to clean it to see if that helps.

Also, I live very close to where I surf usually. If I am going to a different spot that is more than 10 minutes away or so I will usually change out of my suit.

nitsuj

Oct 3, 2005
An island somewhere
For winter accessories how about a 3x3' piece of plush turf and a Lilttle Buddy heater? Granted temps in OR didn't get remotely as gnarly as what you guys deal with when we were in the highs 20s (or hell even in the 50s) would throw the turf down, fire up the Little Buddy next to it and wait a few so the area was sorta warmish before changing in/out.