Best North East Winter accessories

Heavywetsuit

Feb 13, 2016
Been jumping around in the wetsuit department. Lots of companies making suits. Settled on feral because of the Yamamoto rubber
Anybody like anything specific in terms of boots/gloves been using Patagonia for years, jumped to xcel. Been looking @ axxe classic seems like a good option.
Patagonia let too much water in, held up for a couple years before wearing down. Xcel I noticed keeps out water. But wore down quicker

michael

Apr 19, 2017
NJ
I like the axxe gloves. They’re super warm and comfortable. The ones I have are simple flat mittens. I’d love them, but they’re cracking on the palms after one seasons use. Are any mittens durable?
Axxe boot socks working for me. Hanging in there too.

aporta

Nov 15, 2019
Brooklyn
Axxe boots and gloves for me as well. Also, scoop up a pair of these axxe shorts. Keep you extra toasty under the rubber . I use them all through north east, and as an outdoor changing guy, a must have. Maine surfers union has them on sale now. They can help you with sizing.

Attachments

• 62944041-6A12-47A0-8B8D-9514163ABEC2.jpeg
    62944041-6A12-47A0-8B8D-9514163ABEC2.jpeg
    29.8 KB · Views: 72

Heavywetsuit

Feb 13, 2016
Saw axxe does a soft booties 7mm and a constructed boot 5mm with 6mm toes curios about those 4 sure

noahspath

Jan 14, 2021
Maine
Ditto on the 7mm Axxe socks. The ball of my foot packed out on my first pair which eventually blew through - probably more related to walking on rocks and trails than surfing. Repaired them and they're going strong. Gotta second pair for backup. Crazy warm and impressive board feel, too. I like their 4mm boots for shoulder seasons. The 5mm graphene boots are stiff and the seams dig into my toes, but they are warm.

The Axxe base layer is made from the same material as the socks and is worth it for the added warmth.

Their 5 finger gloves are disturbingly warm, but stretch out. They're made of a textured smoothie material. Both the 3mm and 5mm are great. The smoothie is fragile below the shell and will wear through once broken into. I go through two pair of 5mm a winter. The two pair of 4mm lobster claw gloves I had were no good. The palms failed after a few surfs.

SeniorGrom

Mar 20, 2012
USA New Jersey
O’Neill Thermo-X top short sleeve. Not a rash guard more like a thick water resistant sweater. Definitely saves core heat and adds time to your session.

RobG814

Apr 27, 2020
North Carolina
Those Ace boots look interesting, I might have to give them a try.

Anyone ever try Wetty boots? Similar concept, more of a sock than a boot.

Rabid_Kookai

Nov 16, 2022
Gondwanaland
Anyone ever try Wetty boots? Similar concept, more of a sock than a boot.

Seeing as they use Asahi Kasei for their neoprene and liners, I would imagine they are comparable to the Axxe (technically, SurfGrip) who also uses Asahi for their liners. Just depends on the QC of where they are made. While SurfGrip booties/gloves are a sister company to Axxe (all under cworldco, ltd), they are not assembled in the same factories.

Last edited:

RobG814

Apr 27, 2020
North Carolina
Seeing as they use Asahi Kasei for their neoprene and liners, I would imagine they are comparable to the Axxe (technically, SurfGrip). Just depends on the QC of where they are made. While SurfGrip booties/gloves are a sister company to Axxe (all under cworldco, ltd), they are not assembled in the same factories.
Good info, thanks for the insight!