Best Board for Shoulder Injury

slideright

Oct 19, 2006
I have either a partial or total rotator cuff tear. I have been rehabbing but will be starting PT and possibly surgery at end of the month.
I’m wondering what boards you’d recommend for someone with a bad shoulder. I normally ride either a 9’7 Sam or a 7’6 egg.
With the Sam I can catch waves but when I fall and go to grab it or carry it load it my shoulder can get that familiar sting.
My egg requires a bit more digging on our weak waves so that brings the stinging pain.
What do you guys recommend?

kpd73

May 8, 2013
USA Rhode Island
If your shoulder injury prohibits you from looking over it to see behind you before you drop directly into the middle of good set waves than 2 popular New England models on display today were-

Robert August "What I Ride" model in Surftech- 9'6 - 10'

7s Superfish - 7'+

If you're looking for a temporary "Rehab Board" that you can hip hump your way into the first wave of every set from 200 yards outside the lineup and either fully miss the wave or get held up in the lip of an offshore inside wall 8/10 times than the

Munoz Glider in Surftech 12' is an absolute MUST.

The good news here is even though it's a temporary "Rehab" board, these can be ridden anywhere from 4-8 years post injury. Expect weight gain and loss of skills to follow.
I still don't understand how wrestling a giant 12' piece of hollow plastic back out through crashing waves is conducive to "Rehab" but this does seem to be a very popular thing to do.

Humor also seems to help with pain...

slideright

Oct 19, 2006
If your shoulder injury prohibits you from looking over it to see behind you before you drop directly into the middle of good set waves than 2 popular New England models on display today were-

Robert August "What I Ride" model in Surftech- 9'6 - 10'

7s Superfish - 7'+

If you're looking for a temporary "Rehab Board" that you can hip hump your way into the first wave of every set from 200 yards outside the lineup and either fully miss the wave or get held up in the lip of an offshore inside wall 8/10 times than the

Munoz Glider in Surftech 12' is an absolute MUST.

The good news here is even though it's a temporary "Rehab" board, these can be ridden anywhere from 4-8 years post injury. Expect weight gain and loss of skills to follow.
I still don't understand how wrestling a giant 12' piece of hollow plastic back out through crashing waves is conducive to "Rehab" but this does seem to be a very popular thing to do.

Humor also seems to help with pain...
I’d rather lose an arm than ride any of those boards

Ricksurfin

Jun 9, 2019
San Clemente, CA
If you’re willing to swallow some pride (as I was after a three level lumbar fusion) and just to get back in the water, I suggest a Walden Mega Magic. Easy paddling is what it’s all about, and those boards provide it.

JMJackFish

Jul 5, 2016
USA North Carolina
I rode an old Pearson Arrow Wingnut after I had my shoulder rebuilt. Light glassing and the board had some nice curves. Pretty versatile. It wasn't the blinged out version - just simple stringer no tail/nose blocks. I used to stretch out with the rubber bands before every surf and 2/day for good measure.

poidog

Sep 7, 2010
Maryland
Both shoulders done, rotator cuffs and biceps tendons. Had Ricky Carroll build me a monster knee-paddler, 10' x 24" x 4". Shoulder doc said anything that gets your elbows away from the body is bad -- I could knee-paddle this board and keep my elbows close. Really helped. Shoulders still hurt but I'm back to prone paddling, sold that board to another Jammer.

Age simplifies the quiver. Falling apart has its advantages on the wallet. The range of boards I can ride is now reeally small. Sold everything. Ordered one custom, another on the way. Both 10', thick in the middle (3 1/2" and 3 1/4"), wide points forward, foiled as much as possible nose to tail and rail to rail. (Mike Becker in NY made the first, insane foil, finger-slicers, fun AF.) Belly to V. No more concaves for this old man, as long as I'm in the water I want to feel it.