Beach House Spring - Old School Boardswap -April 28th, 2019

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by njrider, Mar 7, 2019.

1. njrider

njrider Active Member

Jan 18, 2006
    USA New Jersey
    1960s crouch.jpg

Sunday, April 28th...Spring 2019

Spring's almost here...it's just about time for our Old School Board Swap. This spring will be our 23rd! This year, we want to bring things back to how it used to be...really old school, loaded with classics. We've got some ideas in store that include Vintage cars, a Vintage Surfboard display and some other really cool ideas!

Put it on your calendars!

DKNJ, zippy, JBorbone and 5 others like this.
  2. Lackosense

Lackosense Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2017
    Long Beach, NY
    Yewww out there!

JBorbone likes this.
  3. hangheels

hangheels Member

Jan 5, 2007
    Ocean View, DE
    What's everyone bringing to sell?

4. Makawaosurfer93

Makawaosurfer93 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2007
    USA New Jersey
    We are all curious, but what this does is reduces the chance that people will come to the swap, either to buy, sell, or swap. This only promotes people jumping on sales before the swap and then this is an extension of the "for sale" threads. I am guilty of this as well in the past. Just looking at it from a different point of view. That said, I am no board police, just offering an opinion. Do what you will.

zippy, michael and Lackosense like this.
  5. hangheels

hangheels Member

Jan 5, 2007
    Ocean View, DE
    Well said, its now a mystery swap. Or listing what you have can drum up some excitement and entice more to come check out some boards you may have in person. Just another opinion, seemed to work in the past.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    Lackosense likes this.
  6. Lackosense

Lackosense Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2017
    Long Beach, NY
    Ya'll both raise compelling arguments...I wonder what @Surfboard Police has to say about this

7. NJ Longboarder

NJ Longboarder Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2005
    My 2 cents, is the list generates interest. I usually post to craigslist and get a bunch of emails about specific boards and instruct the person to come to the swap and check it out in person. There will always be someone there looking for a specific board that might be on the list and already sold, but they may find something else.

As both a buyer and seller at the swap, I feel getting good boards there is the easy part. Getting the real buyers there can sometimes be difficult. I've been trying to keep track of the more successful swaps and what was done differently, but I think it is all up to timing/weather. Spring swaps on warm sunny flat days makes the cash move around a little better. Rain = less buyers. Cold = less buyers. Good waves = less buyers/sellers.

DKNJ, Lackosense and JBorbone like this.
  8. JBorbone

JBorbone Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Belmar, NJ
    100% agree.

I've also noticed that the spring swap tends to be more buying (many of us will have just received our state and federal returns) whereas the fall swap tends to be more selling (trying to free up funds approaching the holiday season).

9. Makawaosurfer93

Makawaosurfer93 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2007
    USA New Jersey
    The crux of my comment was, "to get more people to the swap". As much an opportunity to score something as well as the social aspect. There are pros and cons to a list as stated. i see both sides of the discussion as having merit.

10. LogFather

LogFather Active Member

Jul 20, 2015
    USA
    I'll be bringing some surfboards, some are big and others are small. See you guys at the BH

deemce likes this.