Beach Badges

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by PeakMaster, Jul 3, 2020.

1. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    The history of them in NJ started with Bradley Beach... first ones were stamped brass.

Makawaosurfer93 and Chilly Willy like this.
  2. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    I wonder what people said about them when they were first introduced. Looks like that was 1929. Interesting article on NJ.com about it. https://www.nj.com/entertainment/2017/05/historic_beach_badges.html

Another fun fact: Most beach badges are made by a company down in Cape May Court House. They employ a lot of special needs people to put together orders, so kind of a nice industry in that sense. I forget what the actual number of beach badges made each year is, but it's in the millions.

kclibman likes this.
  3. dingpatch

dingpatch Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Florida USA
    What is a "Beach Badge"? Is it like the old "Safety Patrol" back in elementary school?

Artz likes this.
  4. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    Avalon-beach-badge.png
    Also known as a beach tag.

5. Artz

Artz Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    Have my pass. Nice little plus for us.

6. Artz

Artz Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    Before I forget. “ We don’t need no stinking Badges”

paipodude likes this.
  7. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Given that every beach within driving distance north of Oceanside is closed this weekend and all those folks want to come to SD's beaches, maybe this badge thing has some merit. Anybody try to get on the 5 southbound yesterday?

8. longboardkook

longboardkook Member

Jun 19, 2020
    Denver, ColoRADo
    SoCal beaches get parked out. No badges needed. Think I paid $25 for parking last year at Pacific Beach to go surfing on a Saturday and was lucky to find the parking spot.

9. pablo66

pablo66 Member

Apr 1, 2013
    I was told as a child in the little town of Sea Girt the beach badges are a way to keep the "Bennys" (local slag on outsiders) off the beach. In the late 80s or early 90s many of the towns that received state funds for beach maintenance were sued over the prohibitive price of the day pass. The result was a decrease in the cost of the day pass. Without looking at the actual budget breakdown, from the outside the badges appear to exist to create jobs and keep outsiders off local beaches. $110. for Sea Girt residents to purchase a seasonal pass. I imagine the cost would be far less if town did not keep purchasing atvs, 4 wheel drive pick up trucks, tractors and the badge enforcement staff. Currently I am on outer Cape Cod where beach parking is the issue. Resident parking $20, for the season non resident $250.

I would be remiss to not mention a few asides. the term " Wuhan flu " is a subterfuge promoted by the White House and the supporters of an administration that has failed to protect and serve the American public during the current pandemic. I would ask you to consider a few things. Coronavirus is not the influenza virus. Although originating in China, the strain of the virus that ravaged the Tri-State area was spread from Europe by Eruopean travelers. As a patriotic American, I serve my country by providing health care for my fellow citizens. With over 120,000 American deaths by the Coronavirus, 3 consecutive days of greater than 50,000 new infections 4 months after the declaration of a pandemic, and 5 months after the first cases in the United States, I would like you to consider who benefits from your choice of terms and the motivation behind their origin.

glidewaves, sightpoint, Jaimo and 2 others like this.