Baja Dirtbagging

stopchewingplease

May 1, 2021
SoCal
Looking for some knowledge. Can anyone provide some general details about long term camping down in Baja? Thinking of doing a bike tour + surf + dive. Or more generally just travel down there and get remote. What is most of the diving like? How safe is the remote camping?

Edit for context:

I did not grow up in SoCal, nor have I been to Baja yet. But I have spent a lot of time in serious backcountry elsewhere.

moonstooth

Feb 22, 2014
San Diego
If you want to ride your bicycle, look into the Baja Divide bike packing route. For traveling by car, there is google maps.

A lot of people, myself included, keep their cards close to their chest regarding specific spots, directions, etc. Often, the knowledge is hard won.

But I can share my views on the safety of camping: that the more remote the spot, the safer it is. With regard to camping, your main concern in Baja California is other people (you will not get mauled by a bear). I suppose it’s also good to think about the weather and whether you could get back to the 1 from where you are if the roads got muddy, washed out etc.

In general, use common sense, explore and have fun. Leave only footprints, take only bongrips (actually don’t, best not to mess with weed down there).

Cooperjohnson

Jan 3, 2022
San Diego
Yah most people won’t let you in on any spots. Send me a pm and I’ll give you a nice recommendation for a spot to stay a week. Definitely hardest part is staying safe navigating roads, any failure on your vehicle down there is solely on you. So be prepared. You can meet some nice English speaking people down there. If you speak Spanish you’re in major luck. Locals are usually very friendly. Definitely don’t get caught up in the buying drugs thing