Backside Hull Blues

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by slimgouda, Sep 26, 2020.

Tags:
  1. slimgouda

slimgouda Active Member

Aug 30, 2017
    LA County
    The vbowls is another board I would love to take for a test drive. I'm a big fan of the jivy feel of my wide point back logs so I imagine I would connect with a vbowls. Seems like even on the used market they command a pretty heavy price tag.

hankster likes this.
  2. tuskedbeast

tuskedbeast Active Member

May 25, 2020
    San Francisco
    My pointbreaker is so dramatically awkward to ride backside I don't even try :) If I'm on a right (I'm a goofy too), I kneeboard.
    And that works pretty well, it's fun! Low down with access to grab rail, I have the control I don't backside (which is like trying to turn a skateboard with too tight trucks).
    But I sort of don't see the point in trying to make it do something it doesn't like doing. There's other surf craft I'll turn to for "backside".
    GY 1 .jpg
    So... I have my hull stored at a left point in a faraway land. Fark, I miss it, and the perfect little frontside waves it was meant to ride, and the way it rides. And the friendly, unroiled people, and the green country roads....

3. KDenning

KDenning Active Member

May 14, 2015
    Ventura, CA
    Goofy surfer here at the points in Ventura county. I picked up an 8'6 Hot Generation that was a blast top to bottom back side but felt "sticky" otherwise.

I picked up an 8'6 Mandala Clandestino and it's almost as lively backside as it is front side. It's similar to switching from my wide, square tailed Justin Quintal noserider to a board with a pintail similar to Bing's light weight pin tail - eye opening and game changing.

My hot gen got me hooked but the pintail on the mandala stopped my search for a certain experience for two years.

I’m 6’1 and 200lbs for reference and the 8’6 paddles like my 9’9 log.

I think that having a board that you connect with back side is critical to having fun in this area for goofy footers aka Gods chosen people.

kyle, slimgouda and Joaquin like this.
  4. aloha73

aloha73 Active Member

Jun 19, 2004
    LA, CA
    I'm laid up for a while with some injuries but you're welcome to take my 7'7 Hull for a spin. It's my best one for going goofy.

cjdubs7 and slimgouda like this.
  5. Human

Human Active Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Oceanside
    Pop up goofy and pivot regular off of your bottom turn.

6. tuskedbeast

May 25, 2020
    San Francisco
    How cool that would be.
    It's all through the toes on these things anyway. Why NOT just learn switchfoot?

Andrew Johnson likes this.
  7. tuskedbeast

May 25, 2020
    San Francisco
  8. DJR

DJR Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2018
    Carolina Beach NC
    Or Vaquero. Also I found that hulls surf like small fish with traditional keels backside as well as pre-66 boards like “semi” pig templates Plane it across the face and use those rails to dig in for big turns
    Fish let you go more vertical of course but hulls will unleash crazy powerful roundhouse
    Even better Find some good footage of early longboarding (late fifties to early hotdogging sixties / powersurf Phil Edwards) adapt and go Just my two cents

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    waveslider619 likes this.
  9. Human

Human Active Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Oceanside

Gotta do what you gotta do

tuskedbeast and DJR like this.
  10. SMUKES

SMUKES Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    USA California
    A true hull, belly, ultra thin rails, long and thin fin set way forward etc... Will not go for shit (make sections and so on back hand. It just won't. You might have fun on it but we'd get sucked into the rabbit hole of defining "fun". The thruster as a matter of fact was designed because single fins themselves had so many limitations and the big one was generation of, and maintaining speed backside. Here's my challenge, find just one video of a hull charging backhand. You won't find one. You also won't find a video of a hull at pipe, or any wave of consequence. Its just not what they are for. The problem with backside surfing is that its all weighted on your back foot and Hull surfing is a front foot affair. Its an inescapable truth that cares nothing about trend or fashion. Here we go...

tuskedbeast, zippy and Ricksurfin like this.