Asymmetrical Fin Options

GOIABA

Oct 8, 2016
Hey all,

Picking up an asymmetrical fishy shape in the next couple of weeks and trying to think about fin set-ups. I call it "fishy" because its somewhere between a large fish and a high performance shape. It's built for small waves, but good by Florida standards - won't bring it out until at least shoulder high. 6.0 toe, 6.2 heel and 20" and 2 3/4. Its the standard toe side twin and heel side quad type of asym that a lot of guys are building now. I'm about 185-190 lbs. Futures fin boxes.

Right now I'm trying to get some thoughts about different fin setups and advice on how really to dial this in. I have surfed twins before so I feel like I have a better understanding of what I'm looking for. Never ridden a quad so I have no idea and probably want something neutral to get a decent base of what I should be feeling.

Toe Side Thoughts
I don't think I want a true keel fin. I have set of True Ames Hobie Keel that I think would just way over fin the board. I have been thinking about the True Ames Lovelace asym set. The toe side is a smaller keel - I like the idea of a smaller keel so I can push the board around a little more. But I'm worried about them being a little too stiff and not letting me get vertical (I'm not quite great at it yet but progressing). That leaves the True Ames Album Asym set. The toe side looks smaller - almost like a Mark Richards style twin. But I feel like those fins are made for a more high performancy asym (https://albumsurf.com/collections/disorder) and wont give me enough to push off of.

Where would you start if you were me? I'm sure there are other companies I could try and swing a custom ordered asym set from - DRD4 and a local Florida guy come to mind.

cheyneskeezer

May 30, 2017
Long Beach CA
My fin set up on my 5’4 mini bob asym by Jeff at nine lights he can make These in any box set up

Keel toe side and twinzer heel with a side cut in the shape. I will say at 200 lbs I tend to break the fins loose on a hard backside turn I’d like to try a keel on both sides one day to see if I could drAw out larger fast turns with more fin under my heel.

Attachments

• 64DB3684-6C14-4FC9-8B13-B6733373B336.jpeg
    64DB3684-6C14-4FC9-8B13-B6733373B336.jpeg
    89.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 64FA3C9F-6020-42CB-A280-23CB500C238D.jpeg
    64FA3C9F-6020-42CB-A280-23CB500C238D.jpeg
    97.4 KB · Views: 22

ugoinright?

Sep 13, 2020
The OC Bubble
My fin set up on my 5’4 mini bob asym by Jeff at nine lights he can make These in any box set up

Keel toe side and twinzer heel with a side cut in the shape. I will say at 200 lbs I tend to break the fins loose on a hard backside turn I’d like to try a keel on both sides one day to see if I could drAw out larger fast turns with more fin under my heel.
Drool! Can I be first in line if you decide to sell the Bob? Is that an opened face?