Asking Oceanside locals to support

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by nedsurf, Jun 20, 2020.

1. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    I won't go into all the reasons this is important but after years on the OPD Harbor Unit I completely support this. If you are local or surf Oceanside I'm asking you to sign this petition. Very briefly, because of changes to the OPD approach to supporting the harbor boating/surfing/watermen community they have greatly curtailed what was once a great unit. If you are not local I don't think it productive to sign, at this point it is a grass roots/local effort, but at some point I may come back and ask again if we can get traction on this change. Thanks. https://www.change.org/p/reorganiza...b969a657f4d&utm_content=fht-22955824-en-us:v2

Human and Artz like this.
  2. nedsurf

Jan 22, 2005
    Things are moving on this proposal, and at this point the number of people willing to sign the petition is becoming very important. Everybody here has a vested interest and understanding of water safety, most of you probably have stories and/or personal experience with the inherent dangers of life on and in the ocean, so you can probably appreciate the effort to increase safety for the public. That is what we are trying to do, so I am asking everyone to go to the site and show support by signing the petition, even if you are not in the Oceanside area. Our goal at this point is to move the Oceanside City Council to seriously address the proposed reorganization of marine safety professionals within the city, and greater numbers of people responding will help that happen. If you are willing please sign this proposal. Thank you!

https://www.change.org/p/reorganiza...b969a657f4d&utm_content=fht-22955824-en-us:v2

3. Ricksurfin

Ricksurfin Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2019
    San Clemente, CA
    Just curious, what opposition is there to the proposal. I’m assuming it’s just from the pd, that doesn’t want to give up staffing and control.

4. nedsurf

Jan 22, 2005
    Yes, but it is a pretty convoluted issue that goes back years. PD doesn't want to give up power and $ for performing marine safety duties, but is directing water safety professionals to policing duties within the city, drawing those resources away from the beaches/harbor and reducing water safety duties and training. Bad situation, especially to those of us who have watched it happening. Appreciate your support, pass it on as it directly affects anyone that spends any time in or on the water around Oceanside.

Human and Roach like this.
  5. nedsurf

Jan 22, 2005
    I've posted this link previously, but let me give a little more background.

I had the privilege to work with the Oceanside Police Harbor Unit for a number of years and have great respect for the Department and all the officers I worked with. It is a very professional, dedicated and skilled department. However, I watched command-staff decisions and priorities move staff assignments from the marine safety mission of the Harbor Unit to a broader role of policing outside of the harbor. I don't question the reasons for that, they know what they are doing and have knowledge that we don't have on which to base those priorities and staffing decisions.

Just this weekend we had two boats lost, but we were lucky to have skilled staff available due to required overtime that saved all souls, including two very lucky people that lost their boat late at night. All outcomes in that scenario have not been as positive, in part because of response times.

Oceanside is a beach community, with a very active harbor and 10's of thousands of residents and visitors recreating in and on the water. The Marine Safety mission deserves full time staffing that will be focused on the marine environment in order to reduce response time, increase access to the ocean-going public, and strengthen training in the critical roles involved.

I think this mission is better served by a dedicated, full time staff with a focused mission.

Saying that, I will ask again that if you have not signed this petition that you do so, and share it with others so that this issue can have public, open discussion with all stakeholders participating. Since the city took this up with closed door meetings we have had no visibility into the discussions. Numbers count, even you folks from out of town since a large percentage of our oceangoing public travels here from all over the country. Thanks!

https://www.change.org/p/reorganization-of-marine-public-safety-services-within-the-city-of-oceanside?recruiter=545007944&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=psf_combo_share_initial&recruited_by_id=c7167570-1e9f-11e6-a893-6b969a657f4d&utm_content=fht-22955824-en-us:v2

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020 at 11:20 AM