Are there any So Cal nonprofits...

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by twizzly, Feb 14, 2020 at 1:00 PM.

1. twizzly

twizzly Member

Dec 22, 2006
    ...that accept surfboard/wetsuit donations?

I've decided I'd rather go through the donation/tax process than deal with craigslist anymore. May as well do some good for the world and appease the wife that the garage is clean!

davey and shadydave like this.
  2. shadydave

shadydave Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    I say if you want to gift then search out an appropriate recipient, perhaps a stoked grom or hard working individual that perhaps can’t afford such things do to life issues. I’m no tax expert but I imagine if you record the items you gift with an appropriate value you would be able to take the deduction. I imagine we are not talking large sums of money and the stoke given and received would far out way the item itself. Best of luck!!

Killafornia likes this.
  3. takedown

takedown Active Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Eugene, OR
    Check out Operation Surf. They are based in Northern CA and hold events up and down the CA coast. They help veterans adapt to life after service through surfing. I've been to one of their events, surfed with some of the vets and the joy on their faces is something else. If you want to learn more about them watch the Netflix documentary "Resurfaced" which is all about their organization.

Awesome idea!

4. Nubancho

Nubancho Active Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Orange County
    If you're in Orange County, Vissla was taking old wetsuits to turn them into their surf leashes. I think XM was actually the company, that Vissla was partnering with, making the leashes. Drop-off was down in San Clemente. That was about a year ago so you may wanna check and see if they're still doing that.

I recently got rid of two old wetsuits and some beater boards by posting them up on Facebook. They ended up going to actual friends (as opposed to flaky randos off of CL). They were stoked and I was stoked to see it go to them.

Just another option for you.

5. bluemarlin04

bluemarlin04 Member

Dec 10, 2018
    Hawaii
    Check our One More Wave. Based in San Diego. Started by a retired Navy SEAL.

He gets vets into the water to help them deal with returning from war.

He also helps amputees from war get special boards made.

once a month he holds surf groups in Hawaii and SD. I’m a big fan of his charity.

6. Zzz

Zzz Active Member

Aug 15, 2017
    CA
    I’m pretty sure Goodwill or Salvation Army accept boards and suits

There is a sign about wetsuit recycling with Suga outside Bird’s surf shed.

I’ve always given mine away in Mexico.

7. cheyneskeezer

cheyneskeezer Well-Known Member

May 30, 2017
    Long Beach CA
    ive given old suits and boards to my older buddies teens for some time now.... and my clothes as i get older fatter drink more beer and not care about how i dress :)