Are Aussie Style Noseriders Back in Style?

jory

Dec 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Yea I think Wayne said he was calling the collab shape that he and Devon worked on the “Model D” - at least I think that’s what I read that somewhere on Wayne’s IG
yep, i posted the link to the ig post above.

Wayne Rich on Instagram: “Working with some of the world’s best surfers has inspired me to dig deep and produce my best work over the past few decades. And that work…”

if you look at the diamond tip on waynes website and the model "d" on the ig post, they look like the same board. Wayne also mentions he "added the diamond tip as a twist" on devons board implying that was something he wasn't already doing on a stock model.

Maybe i'm wrong of course

Last edited:

Glide&Flow

Jun 1, 2021
CenCoastCa
Thanks @jory. Looks like in the 4th picture from the IG post, you can see the writing up close and all the way to the right, he wrote "Diamond Tip #1". Very cool board for sure! Wish Wayne included rocker photos on his website.

espi

May 11, 2018
Dana Point, Ca
So forgot to put Gato in my list of US shapers

Also not SD but wayne rich has been making something similar as a troy mothershead model and now has a board he designed for devon howard along the same lines ( the diamond tip)
I've had the Devon Howard / Wayne Rich board (Model D) on order. I originally ordered the Wildcard but the IG post got me to change my order. I've loved the look of the Keeper by Thomas Surfboards. The Model D probably has some Keeper influences.

Just got a text from Wayne and he's shaping my Model D in the next couple of weeks. So maybe the board is dialed in now. I think this will be the first Model D made after the Devon prototypes. Don't know that for sure, but I've been waiting through several (4?) different prototypes before Wayne started on my board.

Last edited:

fluidworks

Dec 1, 2019
San Luis Obispo, CA
Good for you, I emailled Wayne because I too want a Model D, but he said he still was working out the kinks. Hopefully he'll be open for my order soon. Make sure you update with some pics when the time comes.

Squid

Dec 19, 2011
I can tell you that the DNA for that WR Model D goes back to 2012 when I pulled numbers from Senior Grom/Roach’s (I forget who owned it at the time) vintage Midget Farrelly Stringerless. The board Wayne produced for me has an outline, thickness, rails and rocker are all very true to the original board. The only modification was the addition of very minimal, blended concave in the nose. Wayne was extremely pleased with how the board came out and how it rode based on my feedback and said he would likely develop it into a model at some point. I know Harrison Roach had a board made from those numbers with some additional modifications as did Devon Howard which eventually turned into the Model D. The one I have is an extremely versatile shape that does everything well. If only allowed one modern built longboard, I would be hard pressed to decide between this board and the Pieter 60’s Pig. Wayne’s boards are worth the wait.

Last edited:

fluidworks

Dec 1, 2019
San Luis Obispo, CA
I can tell you that the DNA for that WR Model D goes back to 2012 when I pulled numbers from Senior Grom/Roach’s (I forget who owned it at the time) vintage Midget Farrelly Stringerless. The board Wayne produced for me has an outline, thickness, rails and rocker are all very true to the original board. The only modification was the addition of very minimal, blended concave in the nose. Wayne was extremely pleased with how the board came out and how it rode based on my feedback and said he would likely develop it into a model at some point. I know Harrison Roach had a board made from those numbers with some additional modifications as did Devon Howard which eventually turned into the Model D. The one I have is an extremely versatile shape that does everything well. If only allowed one modern built longboard, I would be hard pressed to decide between this board and the Pieter 60’s Pig. Wayne’s boards are worth the wait.

Hows the tail on that? 50/50 foiled all the way down?

Squid

Dec 19, 2011
Yes, the rails are 50/50 the entire board with a slight roll out the tail and minimal rocker in the nose or tail. The foil, rocker and rails are very close to the original. Not sure what was tweaked as the Model D came to be.

Last edited:

Speak

Jul 17, 2012
USA California
I just picked up a 9’2 Robert August Knost model. Heavily foiled and very lightweight. Might already be my favorite longboard.

Ordered a 9.5 PhD fin, these boards like flex right?

jory

Dec 25, 2005
United Kingdom
I just picked up a 9’2 Robert August Knost model. Heavily foiled and very lightweight. Might already be my favorite longboard.

Ordered a 9.5 PhD fin, these boards like flex right?
in my experience yes.

slightly jealous!! It was Knosts boards that started my curiosity on these piggish shapes originally!

Last edited: