Are Aussie Style Noseriders Back in Style?

fluidworks

Dec 1, 2019
San Luis Obispo, CA
Just scored a new to me 9’6 Guerrero in thunderbolt silver.

Can confirm it’s an extra fun board! Love the weight of thunderbolt silver. Felt pretty stress free to turn. Reliable. East to pick up and surf. Excited to get some noserides in on future sessions. Stoked
Nice. I never should have sold my 9’11” especially now that that model is discontinued.

Last edited:

heavymetalshop

Nov 29, 2020
Venice Beach, CA
Nice. I never should have sold my 9’11” especially now that that model is discontinued.

oh man, they are pretty sweet! Question. Could you tell me about the fins you were running and what you liked?

so far I’ve had 1 session and ran a 9.75 macho bow fin. Pretty fun! Trying a 10.5 4a next session, pretty similar templates. Curious to hear what you have tried.

fluidworks

Dec 1, 2019
San Luis Obispo, CA
I know everyone says 4A for every fin recommendation, but this board was definitely designed with that style of fin in mind, so that would be my choice. I used a 10.5 4A and 11" flying diamonds power flex in mine. The power flex is another 4A knockoff that is more stiff, and suited my weight and surfing style. Stick with the 4A, push it forward and feel the gas pedal under your back foot. Enjoy the board!

takedown

Jun 26, 2017
Eugene, OR
Has anyone tried these Wayne Rich logs? Looks like a 4-6 month wait time according to him...but tempted...
A buddy is riding a CJ Haven which is a Wayne Rich design and is really enjoying it. He's actively selling his other longboards because it's working out so well.

Glide&Flow

Jun 1, 2021
CenCoastCa
A buddy is riding a CJ Haven which is a Wayne Rich design and is really enjoying it. He's actively selling his other longboards because it's working out so well.
I have also been considering getting in the queue for a board from Wayne. That Haven looks fun for sure, but not so much of the Aussie "Involvement" type shape as the other boards of Wayne's @Souvlaks mentioned. I feel like someone wrote that the board Devon is riding in that clip is the Diamond Tip, but for some reason I thought I heard that Wayne and Devon collaborated on a new board shape with a different name. Can anyone clarify?

shapewright

Aug 6, 2006
USA California
What most don’t realize is, the Aussie noseriders are copy’s of Velzy’s boards.
Joel brought Hank Byzak a Keyo of Nat’s to copy, he was having a hell of a time trying to match up the curves ( years before pigs became fashionable).
Took a look at it and walked into my shaping room and pulled out my Velzy / Jacobs balsa board template, it fit the Keyo exactly

jory

Dec 25, 2005
United Kingdom
I have also been considering getting in the queue for a board from Wayne. That Haven looks fun for sure, but not so much of the Aussie "Involvement" type shape as the other boards of Wayne's @Souvlaks mentioned. I feel like someone wrote that the board Devon is riding in that clip is the Diamond Tip, but for some reason I thought I heard that Wayne and Devon collaborated on a new board shape with a different name. Can anyone clarify?

hard to be sure but looks like the diamond tip is that board?!

Niau

Dec 18, 2020
Necarney City
What most don’t realize is, the Aussie noseriders are copy’s of Velzy’s boards.
Didn't the early California visitors to Australia (mid-50's onward; which included Greg Noll, Rennie Yater, etc.) often leave their boards behind? Seems the chances are good those included some boards with Velzy influence, if not actually Dale's shapes.

WesCantDress

Mar 5, 2020
Long Beach, CA
Yea I think Wayne said he was calling the collab shape that he and Devon worked on the “Model D” - at least I think that’s what I read that somewhere on Wayne’s IG