Are Aussie Style Noseriders Back in Style?

Ricksurfin

Jun 9, 2019
San Clemente, CA
Michael Miller ‘66 Model I had. It’s been through a few here on the boards, I only sold it to fund another board. It was a beauty.
2374CCD4-E57C-40DE-8F6E-BE54D2CFF83C.jpeg
C1885C36-DBE6-4787-A509-FD16283B5D4E.jpeg

jory

Dec 25, 2005
United Kingdom
So forgot to put Gato in my list of US shapers

Also not SD but wayne rich has been making something similar as a troy mothershead model and now has a board he designed for devon howard along the same lines ( the diamond tip)

WesCantDress

Mar 5, 2020
Long Beach, CA
That diamond tip looks real good... carries that width through the hips nicely. And some flip in the nose as well. Wasn't sure if I was reading that nose rocker correctly in the photo, but watching Devon put that board through its paces I can see that marked flip in the front two feet. Damn he can surf.

jory

Dec 25, 2005
United Kingdom
He’s such a great surfer. Lovely guy too.

Some close ups of the shape second pane here

Hodaddy81

Feb 2, 2021
Jersey
There is a reason why most of the best current longboard surfers happen to be riding that style. If you look at any of the big dogs in shaping they are usually making at least a few different models. I personally really dig them because they do handle well on the nose in quick pocket noserides. But most importantly they perform quick direction changes. As a smaller framed human (5’8 145) surfing quick critical waves it helps me turn but also since the majority of the board is behind you when noseriding all that volume is under the wave creating lift. So ya... Just as long as it does not have banana rocker they work pretty good. Of coarse this is just my opinion, so please be gentle when telling me I am wrong lol.

Artz

Nov 22, 2018
Florida
On a side note. Not sure if people here already know this. Keys the Australian Surfboard brand are now building Boards in California.
It was a Keyo shaped by Bob McTavish that was Nat Young’s Magic Sam.

Niau

Dec 18, 2020
Necarney City
Had one, Looked a lot like this. Deep Vee, tail must have been 18 inches wide with a fin nearly that deep! Knife rails. Mike Hynson saw me with it and told me "those things don't work". Something I didn't think much about at the time is, those big long Vee panels were nearly flat, much less belly than the forward half of the board. If you really got up on a rail things got exciting pretty quick. Just glad nobody died.
4b19529237bf326e57ccd951ab39e9ab_thumb.jpg

Members online