Are Aussie Style Noseriders Back in Style?

RockyIsland

Feb 1, 2021
Phillip Island
Not sure if this requires a separate thread or not but should hips back "Involvement style boards" as discussed on here have concave or not.
These boards ride in the pocket and the nose sticks out like a diving board with hardly any water underneath as the hips get sucked back into the pocket and the board points more towards the shore sticking out from the wave.
In fact if you watch a lot of nose rides of these online the nose is out from the wave hardly touching the water so is nose concave really needed on these boards?
I have four of these types of board and only one has nose concave the Guerro which is very deep more detrimental to this shape than help IMO in the type of waves I tend to surf. Probably just need more time and a greater variety of waves on it.
My fave nose rider is my Playboy which looks super similar to SQUIDs Wayne Rich above.
Dead Kooks have a newish model called the "All Time" which is supposedly an evolution of the Guerro and has no concave in the nose.
https://deadkooks.com/collections/all-time
"An evolution of the Guerrero.. No concave, tweaked outlined, more rocker. Think late 60's australian curves, pinched rails and more nose flip, belly front to back. Designed with CJ after many long hours on the points in Mexico. A new direction."
Mind you where I am from we don't have long points or so I could be talking the veritable here.
I think you need Nose Concave on HPLBs as they tend to nose more on the flats hovering off the rocker and concave.
I have a HPLB that I can nose ride in white wash heading straight to the beach. I can't do that on any logs.
Is there any advantage of nose concave on these boards?
cheers

Last edited:

jory

Dec 25, 2005
United Kingdom
I think it’s a personal preference thing really.

I agree that when these boards are noseriding in the pocket the nose is out of the water. That’s why many of them that have concave, it runs quite a long way back but in reality it’s the tail rocker that’s working for you at that point

I do think the concave can help you extend noserides in fatter sections which is helpful in beach breaks with their narrower noses.

I personally like concave in my logs generally and all five of these type boards I’ve had have had concave in them.

these are my current two. Notice the yellow one ( shaped by my friend ) has almost a full length concave. Similar idea to the MS boards from Australia. It’s the best turning log I’ve ever had and it will noseride pretty slack waves!

See here…..,

RockyIsland

Feb 1, 2021
Phillip Island
I think it’s a personal preference thing really.

I agree that when these boards are noseriding in the pocket the nose is out of the water. That’s why many of them that have concave, it runs quite a long way back but in reality it’s the tail rocker that’s working for you at that point

I do think the concave can help you extend noserides in fatter sections which is helpful in beach breaks with their narrower noses.

I personally like concave in my logs generally and all five of these type boards I’ve had have had concave in them.

these are my current two. Notice the yellow one ( shaped by my friend ) has almost a full length concave. Similar idea to the MS boards from Australia. It’s the best turning log I’ve ever had and it will noseride pretty slack waves!

See here…..,

Thanks Jory
Yes can really see how the concave is working in that instagram clip.
Looks like a fun logging wave.
I did have a Keyo with a concave like your yellow board running through it over 10 years ago but my son snaffled it.
I will preserve with the Guerro for while.
Need to take it down to my favourite logging beaches a few hours drive away and get adjusted to it.
Does concave with its more surface area compared to a flat nose make the nose act wider when its planning on a fatter section or is it an air pocket underneath that holds the nose up longer ?...I have seen both explanations from shapers.
cheers