Anything Fishy

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by fishy82, Aug 9, 2013.

1. hullogfish

hullogfish Active Member

Dec 22, 2006
    USA California
    [​IMG]

I was thumbing through my Kenvin Surf Craft book and came across a couple of photos of winged, or as the book refers to them, "side bites", Skip fish. I rarely see these boards, beyond the Swift Movement that may neighbor has hanging in his house, though his has tiny little wings. Does anyone have one of these? In the book, they are on pages 128-130. These are not the "wings" present on the speedialers, etc, these are wings that jut from the rail, almost like the sidecut fish that Burch makes. I'd love some input on this.

2. xyzzy

xyzzy Active Member

Sep 2, 2014
    Encinitas, CA
    Unable to see your photo, and don't have the book yet. Side bites as in fins? Or wings, as in steps on the rails, like this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's a Pave micro-wing. Never seen a Frye like this, love to see a photo of one...

JMJackFish likes this.
  3. thomas

thomas Active Member

Nov 22, 2016
    San Diego
    These?

Attached Files:

4. xyzzy

xyzzy Active Member

Sep 2, 2014
    Encinitas, CA
  5. Nilus

Nilus Active Member

Jun 30, 2008
    Haven't ridden one but I've always been intrigued, too. There's also this Lis version (just sent this pic as one of the "inspirations" for a pending order though I doubt I'll actually get the wings) ...
    Lis two stringer fish.jpg

DJR likes this.
  6. jtsfla

jtsfla New Member

Feb 6, 2015
  7. hullogfish

hullogfish Active Member

Dec 22, 2006
    USA California
    Correct, not side bites as in fins(the book uses the term side bites, though it is confusing) but the wings, like the pic posted by thomas and jtsfla. As you can see, it isn't a step down in width, but actually a wide spot itself. My neighbor's board, which I'll have to look at, actually has tiny wings that jut from the rail as well. As soon as he is around I will snap a pic.

8. thomas

thomas Active Member

Nov 22, 2016
    San Diego
    Yeah, I think it was just some experimenting from the old school tinkerers...Pendo, Pleskunas, Geppy, etc...just in their blood...We used to glass "beads" on the tails of our kneeboards...Ha!

9. m8r

m8r Active Member

Apr 8, 2014
    NC
    I'm pretty sure this is what you're looking for....

Soundings IV
    From Volume 15 Issue #6
    “The surfboard crafting world’s masters of fin design, including George Greenough, Curtis Hesslegrave, Chuck Ames, and Andy Dovell, discuss their research efforts toward better understanding fin dynamics and design progression. Thef foil, rake, and flex patterns involved in single-fins, twin-fins, thrusters, quad-fins, and even some fin-wings (from Skip Frye & Larry Gephart) are discussed in detail–fancy stuff."

Link: https://www.surfersjournal.com/product/soundings-iv/

The Journal always comes through.