ANYBODY REMEMBER THESE?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Bruce Fowler, Sep 8, 2019.

1. dingpatch

dingpatch Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Florida USA
    My old neighborhood friend Brian wanted to join the navy but, he had really, really, big knots on his feet and knees. He had to quit knee paddling for almost a year before the Navy took him.

Oh, and, , , , I had respectable knots on my knees and my feet.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  2. Bruce Fowler

Bruce Fowler Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2018
    California
  3. Bruce Fowler

Bruce Fowler Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    By the time I was 15, I had big ones on my knees. None on the tops of my feet becuz my toes hit the board rather than the lower profile a lot of guys observed. The left knot got a hole in it and was a hideous mess, but I was SO addicted to surfing, I'd tough it out thru the pain anyway, and eventually it would get numb in cold enough winter water.

4. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    I only had them on knees too. Dr drained fluid from them a couple of times with a needle. I don’t remember them being painful but pretty ugly.

5. SdSurferguy

SdSurferguy Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    USA
    I had some pretty big ones on my feet from 14-25 years old. Smaller ones behind both big toes, and on my right foot center I had one approx the diameter of a golfball. The first year or two it was an open sore (not bloody, just rubbed raw and somewhat painful), but eventually my body learned to adapt. I never developed them on my knees because I was primarily in a wetsuit (for some reason the thought of them on my knees terrifies me, feet was totally fine). The last 10 years or so I stopped knee paddling and it took at least 4 years before they went away completely. From 14-21 I did a lot of long distance knee paddling and I think I must have been putting more weight/pressure on my dominant right leg, hence the difference.

6. SdSurferguy

SdSurferguy Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    USA
    Chest lumps!

"On further questioning, the patient described 2 further lumps, located on the anterior surface of his chest. Again, the patient attributed the lumps to microtrauma during surfing. The chest lumps became more pronounced after surfing trips to Bali where the patient surfed without use of a wetsuit."

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1930043316300188

7. Killafornia

Killafornia Active Member

Oct 1, 2009
    I have these

miscreant likes this.
  8. miscreant

miscreant Well-Known Member

May 20, 2016
    Exactly.

9. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    I get the chest lumps right at the bottom of my rib cage. The more often I surf, the bigger they get. It always makes me think of that little segment in Bruce Brown's Surfing Hollow Days that gives some tips on how to look like a surfer if you're not one.

Bumps1.jpg

Bumps2.jpg

Andrew Johnson and Bummer Dude like this.