Apr 19, 2017
NJ
Looks like a McQuero... or basically a liddle baby v

1617750766475.jpeg

sam

Nov 16, 2020
SF
Looks like a McQuero... or basically a liddle baby v
The board was listed as a "MacVee" on the HolySmoke blog. I thought the name was lost in translation but now that seems like a deliberate mash up

Spiral Bee

Mar 4, 2021
Eastern Massachusetts
Wondering if anyone on this board could weigh in on how an 8'0" Vaquero will deal with typical East Coast waves.

I ask because I placed an order with Marc for just such a board, back in January, and having a few months more to daydream about the board, I'm just curious as to how such a board will jive with our conditions (I surf all around southern New England).

My sense is that hull-ish bottoms have a reputation for thriving in lined up waves with some juice in them, and such conditions are not the norm here.

My weekday staple is a wide beach that can line up nicely but still tends to break into short sections, and quite gently (the bottom slope is very gradual) I would love to think the Vaquero can replace a longboard as a go-to board there, but wonder if that's wishful thinking.

Any 2 cents appreciated.

DKNJ

Mar 20, 2016
Ocean, NJ
Wondering if anyone on this board could weigh in on how an 8'0" Vaquero will deal with typical East Coast waves.

I ask because I placed an order with Marc for just such a board, back in January, and having a few months more to daydream about the board, I'm just curious as to how such a board will jive with our conditions (I surf all around southern New England).

My sense is that hull-ish bottoms have a reputation for thriving in lined up waves with some juice in them, and such conditions are not the norm here.

My weekday staple is a wide beach that can line up nicely but still tends to break into short sections, and quite gently (the bottom slope is very gradual) I would love to think the Vaquero can replace a longboard as a go-to board there, but wonder if that's wishful thinking.

Any 2 cents appreciated.
I think once you get the board wet, you’re going to have a difficult time not surfing it every session. But you may want to check out fellow Jammer, Michael he’s been riding that board here in NJ & loves his.

DKNJ

Mar 20, 2016
Ocean, NJ

Any 2 cents appreciated.
@michael

Stan Vinokur

Oct 15, 2020
San Francisco

Any 2 cents appreciated.
It's certainly better for lined up waves but if you can surf your longboard there you'll be able to surf the vaq. Hard to say.

michael

Apr 19, 2017
NJ

Any 2 cents appreciated.
My favorite topic. I’ll DM you my number.

aporta

Nov 15, 2019
Brooklyn

Any 2 cents appreciated.
My favorite board for a long time was a 7’10 Vaquero. Just about what you’re getting, surfed up in New York and Jersey. Great board in the beach break I surf, which sounds familiar to what you go going on. I nice break from longer board with it being shorter, but the rocker made getting into wave pretty easy.
Had it out in suboptimal surf, paddled like a beast and would still fly. I’m with these other guys, might be hard to put it down once you got it out there.

Members online