Andreini Stoke

Salty

May 1, 2010
USA California
From an interview with Marc on Liquid Salt:

The Serena
I’ve been on a lifelong quest for a good pintail hull. I remember when Midget Farrelly in the Puerto Rico contest of ‘68 surfed a 7’10 with an orange bottom and a yellow deck – basically a hippy pintail hull. He won second place in that contest. And if you’ve ever have seen the film, he surfs it so beautifully. I’ve always loved pintails and I’ve always loved hulls. But the two really don’t go together by most people’s thinking. I wanted to make it happen.

I have been making pintails every decade since the ‘70s, trying to build one which worked well. I didn’t succeed until 2002 when I made an 8’8. For some reason I was able to do a roundhouse cutback on a chest high wave – how the hell did that happen? This one actually worked! I rode it a couple of years and then sold it. I had forgotten it until about 4 or 5 years ago, I get a call from the artist and former Mollusk employee Serena Mitnik-Miller. She said, “I’ve got to have one of your boards.” She described the board, and I told her “I never made a board like that.”

The original board ended up in Ventura with a friend of hers and it was at her house and all of her friends rode it. They said it was magic. I made her one and I can’t tell you how many I have made since. They ride everything, but they prefer overhead surf. I took one to Tavarua and it worked insane at Cloudbreak! We named it the Serena Model because of her. She was the one responsible for bringing it all back. I make this board in the same way as the standard Vaquero in the 8 to 12 feet range. They are all hippy pintails with a full nose, but otherwise identical to the Vaquero. The shorter ones work great as guns in the 8 to 10 foot range and the longer ones work fabulous as gliders in smaller, cleaner waves.

Link: https://www.liquidsaltmag.com/volume2#/2013/02/shaper-spotlight-marc-andreini/

heavymetalshop

Nov 29, 2020
405/101/10
Lastly, I've always liked this clip of Scott Bass surfing a Serena in small, soft waves

Watching this makes me want a serena in similar size. Looks like swami's. Fun wave, been surfing it all week on 9'2 McVee.

Does anybody have a serena in 8'4-8'8 range? Would love to chat. I just had my name called on marc's list.

heavymetalshop

Nov 29, 2020
405/101/10
9’2 McVee

5’s are some of my favorite feels with this one. Hit a stall and get forward. Locked in !

A41E9752-755E-460D-95CA-62253BAFA0BC.jpeg

Last edited: