Andreini Stoke

Nilus

Jun 30, 2008
While I've never surfed big OBSF, it's hard for me to imagine wanting to ride my 7'10 Serena in that type of situation. Between the thickness, the flexy singlefin, and several other design aspects, I have a feeling I would really struggle (more than I would otherwise). A little sleeker outline and different fin setup just seems so much "safer" in my mind. Even on bigger pointbreak days here in Santa Barbara, the Serena is not my choice. Funny enough, it works more like a mini glider for me and even then I don't feel like it's a standout wave catcher because of the roll in the bottom. If the waves are relatively solid, I like shorter, thinner, and a more pulled in nose template. Easier to duckdive and manage. As far as the Andreini catalog, the pocket rocket seems like a better overall choice and I plan on getting one as more of an alternative semigun (maybe with edge). Anyway, I know Marc designed the Serena for the purpose and plenty of people are using it that way. So kudos to those of you who are!

Last edited:

MeatHeadDeath

Mar 10, 2021
SF Bay Area
Long thread about this very topic! All I can say is on overhead ++ days, many folks but not all are riding guns/ gun type boards like a Serena.

While I've never surfed big OBSF, it's hard for me to imagine wanting to ride my 7'10 Serena in that type of situation. Between the thickness, the flexy singlefin, and several other design aspects, I have a feeling I would really struggle (more than I would otherwise). A little sleeker outline and different fin setup just seems so much "safer" in my mind. Even on bigger pointbreak days here in Santa Barbara, the Serena is not my choice. Funny enough, it works more like a mini glider for me and even then I don't feel like it's a standout wave catcher because of the roll in the bottom. If the waves are relatively solid, I like shorter, thinner, and a more pulled in nose template. Easier to duckdive and manage. As far as the Andreini catalog, the pocket rocket seems like a better overall choice and I plan on getting one as more of an alternative semigun (maybe with edge). Anyway, I know Marc designed the Serena for the purpose and plenty of people are using it that way. So kudos to those of you who are!

Nilus

Jun 30, 2008
Long thread about this very topic! All I can say is on overhead ++ days, many folks but not all are riding guns/ gun type boards like a Serena.

Yeah, I remember it. I guess I'm saying the Serena doesn't actually feel like a gun to me personally. But no need to rehash it and I'm hardly an expert on that type of wave or craft. :) Maybe I'll just wait for the day of the year at Rincon and change my own opinion!