Alt surfboard rider query.

kclibman

May 23, 2018
L.A. County
East coast. Skated since i was 6. Then snowboarded. Then surfed. Love the feel of a fish or a stubby with at least 2 fins.

small boards connect me to the body language of skating. Alt boards def connect me to snowboarding.

Please God deliver some decent waves on Sat. I wanna try out a new board. And ride some old standards... standard alt weird things.

Re: skating, couldn't agree more. I think this is why guys like you and I are so into Manny's boards - they tend to come in smaller packages, are prone to wider tails and move like refined Simmons/fish that allow for more of that bowl action/frontside slash kind of feeling you get when skating tranny.

West81

Jun 28, 2021
Hollandia
Regular footer here....thank goodness (CA point wave haven)....but I absolutely love SImmons, fishes, mega fishes and even surf mats.....you reach a point where it's not just about wave counts, big stuff, perfect days and such....it is more about a connection. Some days I just paddle way outside and sit all by myself and tune in; today for example I did not really catch one decent wave but saw a whale, two friendly harbor seals, some schooling fish beneath me and watched the squadrons of pelicans do their drive-bys-----could not have been more at peace. So I guess, for me, some days I like to grab my rip stick and just go have at it and many other days I grab the board that feels good for the day. When I get the feeling and the days crossed, usually I end up being frustrated and it just isn't worth it to get to that point. So.......goofy or regular grab that old beater, that 70's 3 1/2" thick 6 footer, the 10' waterlogged beast and just go for the sake of going.

Couch

Thats awesome. Cant see more than 4 inches into our murky waters

kyle

Jun 2, 2010
Re: skating, couldn't agree more. I think this is why guys like you and I are so into Manny's boards - they tend to come in smaller packages, are prone to wider tails and move like refined Simmons/fish that allow for more of that bowl action/frontside slash kind of feeling you get when skating tranny.
Esssactly.

Broke a few fin placement laws and dropped a set of Album twins with a Merrick finger fin in my super stubby. The AMT’s rocked but these should be even more like loose trucks in a bowl.

What I want next- should manny take a custom order again…an arc-swallow keel or arc-swallow keel fish.

skurp

Feb 11, 2021
San Diego
Manny is Mandala, right?

shredsickgnar

Aug 7, 2021
Canada
I snowboarded for 15 years before I really started surfing. I tried the whole HPSB thing and never really connected with those boards unless the waves were really good. I rode big fishes when I was learning to surf and went back to that design after several years of HPSBing. More or less, the thing I value most in a surfboard is the ability to create speed effortlessly and to retain that speed. There is a balance in a board that still allows you to turn too, but once you learn to surf with speed it allows you to go where you want on the wave and place your turn where you want. But that feeling relates directly to snowboarding and so feels very natural to me. A HPSB is great but its goal is to handle the most radical air, blow tail, lip smash, or late drop possible and stay mostly in the pocket. A HPSB is forgiving in those critical scenarios, but is not as good as a fish/mid/alt board on the other parts of the wave, or when the waves have less quality.

My favourite turn to do is a full speed bottom to top to bottom carve, almost like you'd do a round house cutback but you have way too much speed to get back to the white wash and the wave is still setting up in front of you. I don't need a HPSB to do this and in many ways a fish or a midlength excels at this type of turn.

Last edited:

dingdong

Jan 14, 2013
USA California
Esssactly.

Broke a few fin placement laws and dropped a set of Album twins with a Merrick finger fin in my super stubby. The AMT’s rocked but these should be even more like loose trucks in a bowl.

What I want next- should manny take a custom order again…an arc-swallow keel or arc-swallow keel fish.
my microlight super chunk twin is all time....I used to think my asq was one of my favorite boards but the super chunk quickly replaced it...also I only ride "alt" boards...mainly fish/simmons hybrids...the easy "smooth cruising" feeling is addictive