Alex knost quiver

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by worm, Mar 7, 2007.

1. enchilladas

enchilladas New Member

Feb 25, 2006
    USA
    There was one segment on Brendan White in that old show that Tom Wegener used to do (forget what it was called). Anyway, he was in a heat with Joel. Brendan had the most unreal waves.

I still think Al's still the best though at the real technical stuff (i.e. foot drags, heels, steep section noserides etc) whereas I would concider Brendan White more of the all round modern longborder (i.e. turns, general noseriding, and tri-fin longboarding). If that makes any sense.

2. tentoesed

tentoesed New Member

Oct 7, 2004
    Hahaha, this is funny stuff, big tempest in a teapot. Not too much function to noseride a board with great technique and critical position, but it sure is fun. (more functional to be a little back from the nose in a good trim spot for speed in sections on certain boards, or to work the walls with fluid carving moves) However, I really agree with you aslbuck when you criticize the kick move, man , I really dislike that move despite so many good surfers doing it, but when Knost, Marshall bros., or others mentioned, do it with a little more creativity(footdrags in the lip,etc.), I think it just adds to the artform of what this is really all about. Yeah, it's an artform. Like it or don't like it, who cares, just have fun and challenge the past with the future. I happen to love it.
    Hey alb, I really agree with what you said about the Brenden White segment too, that sequence impressed me so much that I've been working on those heel moves ever since. Great clip.
    I love the past masters (Lance Carson styled tiprides, Phil Edwards drop-knee, KempAabergs soul arch, etc.) but I humble myself to the "new school" and want to learn and grow without being captured and imprisoned in a certain time-frame.
    Ah, carry on, this is all fun. And if you ain't having fun doing this, why not?

3. Smokey

Smokey New Member

Apr 8, 2005
    USA New Jersey
    tentoesed wrote:
    That's right. If it ain't fun, it aint worth doin.

It's fun to have fun.

4. slosurf

slosurf Active Member

Sep 1, 2004
    USA Maryland
    tentoesed wrote:
    Well said!!!

5. g-unit

g-unit New Member

Apr 2, 2006
    USA New Jersey
    i'm not sure if anyone else noticed but i am having a blast with this. all in good fun!

6. unforgiven

unforgiven Member

May 10, 2006
    knost,white. possibly the best?

my vote goes to cj nelson.

7. aslbuck

aslbuck Member

Jan 29, 2005
    best at what? dressing in glam? painting his nails? its all subjective. best noserider? best progressive? best classic logger? its all opinions, obviously. as for my very subjective opinion, i don't even think cj is the best in santa cruz (though he's a great surfer), i'd go with dane perlee or more likely tanner beckett, for that honor. my vote on best classic logger in santa cruz and beyond would have to be oliver parker, an amazing surfer from santa barbara.

8. enchilladas

enchilladas New Member

Feb 25, 2006
    USA
    aslbuck wrote:
    oliver is unreal. hey andy, when's that contest I can be in? April? I may be able to come.

9. g-unit

g-unit New Member

Apr 2, 2006
    USA New Jersey
    There is no best i agree. There are just people who are fun to watch and those who arent.

I would rather watch some people fall, then to see others make it!

10. rapier_96

rapier_96 Member

Jan 18, 2007
    g unit - g coast.......gee whizzz

I never was good at remembering names.

ratpier? I'm much to old to be hanging out with those aggresive, HB pier rats. ;)