Alaska Air line - Traveling with a board

NateB

Jul 28, 2020
Laguna beach
Hey Guys, i was wondering if anyone has had any experience with Alaska airlines traveling with boards.

Their website suggests that you cannot travel with anything over 115 inches, so a 9'6 would be about all I can bring.

all of my boards are over 9'9. i was wondering if anyone's showed up to the airport to try to push there linier requirement of 115 and how did that work out for you?

takedown

Jun 26, 2017
Eugene, OR
I wouldn't push it. All it takes is for you to get on the flight going and then have them deny you on the return flight. Also be aware if any part of the leg is on one of their small planes the limit goes down to below 8'.

I'm not sure how the pro longboarders do it, when I researched traveling with boards it was next to impossible.

garagefull

Feb 22, 2004
Santa Cruz
I flew on Alaska from Portland OR to San Jose in sept 2019. The board was 9'6 so a little longer with the bag. They never measured the length, but made me unpack it in front of an agent which took a while. Seemed like their only concern was security and there was no discussion of the length. They charged me $30.

Wadeinthewater

Jul 30, 2020
Haleiwa HI
I would be cautious to Hawaii. The 737 can be weight restricted on flights to Hawaii. particularly in winter when their can be a strong headwind westbound, first thing bumped to allow for enough fuel is bags.....bummer if you are heading to Hawaii to surf!

Gretsch

Aug 31, 2008
USA
My method: At SeaTac I get a hotel with free parking the night before. It's within walking distance of the terminal. I get up super early and walk to the check in giving myself enough time to return the board to my van if I get rejected.

If I fly out of Portland, I have a friend nearby that can zip over to the terminal to pick up my board if I get refused.

It all seems to depend on the ticket agent.

Gretsch

Aug 31, 2008
USA
The best was I once flew to Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo with a 10' and a 9'6" stuffed into a double board bag. Not only did the ticket agent at Continental allow the boards on the plane, HE DIDN'T EVEN CHARGE ME!

God bless that man.

NateB

Jul 28, 2020
Laguna beach
Thanks for all the replies guys, it seems the airlines have a bit of mixed answers when I've called them. its going to be a little tricky, but from what i understand they will just charge an oversized baggage fee of 100$ if the board is bigger than 9'6.

I will be flying out to maui from lax, so will let you guys know my experience when I leave...

also in touch with Todd Pinder about placing a deposit for a board, depending on if he can meet the timeline of the trip in april, i may only be traveling home with a board.

Wadeinthewater

Jul 30, 2020
Haleiwa HI
NateB....as to my post that's only a concern when the flight is full.....given current circumstances I doubt that will be the case for you. I'm guessing there are not too many full flights to Hawaii
these days