AB 1680

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by miscreant, Oct 11, 2019.

1. SdSurferguy

SdSurferguy Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    USA
    I also hope that one day I have enough experience to drive a twisty road.

2. Bruce Fowler

Bruce Fowler Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    I've legally gone into the Hollister Ranch over decades:

By boat - legal to the mean high tide mark
    By permit - monthly passes issued by Maaco
    By invitation - parcel owners or employees

I stand by my point that the road is a twisting curving undivided road with steep drop offs somewhat similar to the Big Sur area, which is open to public transportation but considered dangerous by many.

I'm not suggesting the public be denied access, I'm only calling into question the expense for the State of California to make the easement safe and affordable given what it currently is, and what is their logic in deciding that particular part of the California coast be opened when a long span of state land known as "the Gaviota Coast" directly to the south offers easier more affordable access? If you are a surfer, then you may have different feelings on the subject. Obviously that appears to be the case here.

For the average beach goer, the need to access beautiful empty beaches north of Santa Barbara and Goleta that offer surf, wildlife, beautiful scenery and amenities in existing state parks is fairly abundant, and the State of California can expand upon that existing offering without having to broach the subject of easement, expensive road improvement and other concessions to property owners for negative impact upon current property values.

What I stated, I said in earnest, being as objective as I could possibly be. It's bullshit in your eyes, but not mine. Let's agree to disagree.

Obviously you're emotional over the matter and feel big brother should have a right to appease your particular agenda. FWIW, I always preferred to access 'the ranch' by boat, even while having standing invites from longtime friends. I told them I didn't like "the ranch politics" and preferred to enjoy that bit of coastline on my own terms also adding "I always have the option to turn my boat west and head out across the channel".

Andrew Johnson likes this.
  3. Freddibetts

Freddibetts Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015
    USA New York
    @miscreant missed opportunity here - a polling would have been perfect

miscreant likes this.
  4. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    "Obviously you're emotional over the matter and feel big brother should have a right to appease your particular agenda" - now you taking it to a personal level, and you sure as hell don't know how I feel or what my beliefs are. I said exactly what I mean, which those who know me will say is my way in life.

You pretty much said what you think, and so did I. Done.

5. Bruce Fowler

Bruce Fowler Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    Fair enough My sincere apology if that was a .cheap shot. It is too easy to misread someone's tone on social media. I'll try to be more sensitive toward that in the future.

6. miscreant

miscreant Well-Known Member

May 20, 2016

Agreed. However, I loved the idea of just putting it out there and letting people say what it is and why it should or shouldn’t have happened.

7. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    I got mine there for close to 30 years. As Dora said on his memories of Malibu; "Why share them with a world gone mad?"

Dawnpatrol likes this.
  8. Ricksurfin

Ricksurfin Active Member

Jun 9, 2019
    So Cal
    When do the Surfline cameras go up?

9. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    USA California
    Here is another thought...not that everyone hasn't done a great job of expressing both sides of the point ...Isn't it better....when you can have a stealth mission into a place.....whether
    It is open to the public or not?
    Only yourself..or a few friends..
    Enjoying those waves...afterwards..the drive home...stoke...but the silence about it later...
    I dunno..just popped into my head...
    As im checking out my torren board*..that leon delievered...early...yesterday..
    Hats off to him!!

* yes she is in the house ..the first night in her new home ;-)

Dawnpatrol likes this.
  10. pintail

pintail Active Member

Feb 19, 2004
    LA, California
    I've always felt strongly that local beach access shouldn't be restricted by privileged landowners. Malibu beaches now all have access points and an app that shows where they are. But, as someone who never walks past a piece of plastic trash on the beach, and always picks it up to carry to a trash bin, I would hate to see trash on the beach at the Ranch. Honeslty, if I lived there, I'd be on the side opposing the opening of the beach to anyone. I'm conflicted about the issue, and hate the people who just leave trash behind, so perhaps the limited access that exists there now should be allowed to perpetuate.