9'8 Yater Model ID

JM NB

Apr 22, 2021
Venice
Anyone know what model this is? Friends told me spoon concavity is drastic and would be able to tell right away if it was one. No dims/signature on it. Only board #. Glassed light. Monkey Glassing by Parole Surfboards. The guy I bought it from purchased it from Beach House 10/11 years ago.

Since there is no signature, could this be shaped by someone else or a pop out?

Attachments

• IMG_9322.jpg
    IMG_9322.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_9321.jpg
    IMG_9321.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_9320.jpg
    IMG_9320.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 129

Sax-son

Nov 23, 2019
Three Rivers, CA
It's definitely a Yater, I can tell by the stringer arrangement, but I can't tell if it is a Spoon because I can't see the step from those pictures. It may be a custom shaped board. Why it is not signed by Renny I can't tell you, but it could have been Lauren Yater or another shaper? Renny usually shapes those boards himself, so there has to be a story behind the story on this one. Not a classic era, but maybe 1980" or 1990's? A friend of mine had Rennie shape him a Yater Spoon as late as 1973 well into the shortboard era so some may exist post 1968.

JMAC

Feb 10, 2019
Northern Santa Barbara County
Don't think either Lauran or Renny shaped it. They might have used John Birges glassing for a few boards after Clyde Beatty shut down his glass shop before all the boards went to Haak. Doesn't look like a spoon...6" in front of center you will see the step start if it is one. Yaters have been cut by machine since the 90's and then scrubbed by Renny. Anyone with that cut file could make a darn close replica and slap a lam on. Just my thoughts. If it rides good who cares.

Chilly Willy

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey
Anyone know what model this is? Friends told me spoon concavity is drastic and would be able to tell right away if it was one. No dims/signature on it. Only board #. Glassed light. Monkey Glassing by Parole Surfboards. The guy I bought it from purchased it from Beach House 10/11 years ago.

Since there is no signature, could this be shaped by someone else or a pop out?

It looks pretty similar to a Spoon. Similar t-band stringer to all the others Spoons I've seen. Mine doesn't have any nose concave. The best way to tell would be to look for a step deck -- looking at the rocker from the rail, you would see a pretty noticeable hump-like thickness change right around where your chest would touch the board when you paddle. You can see it a little bit in this picture if you look at the stringer. It has a pretty fair amount of nose rocker past the step.

spoon_shiny.jpg

For comparison, I got mine in 2003. It's got a Spoon lam and has Renny's signature. All the Spoons I've seen have this. Not sure what Lauran's writing looks like.

spoon_lam.jpg

JM NB

Apr 22, 2021
Venice
Thanks for the information everyone! I'll post some more pictures after work today to help with the guess work.

Board rides great regardless. Took it out in 4' close out Venice breakwater and just messed around for an hour.

Sax-son

Nov 23, 2019
Three Rivers, CA
Don't think either Lauran or Renny shaped it. They might have used John Birges glassing for a few boards after Clyde Beatty shut down his glass shop before all the boards went to Haak. Doesn't look like a spoon...6" in front of center you will see the step start if it is one. Yaters have been cut by machine since the 90's and then scrubbed by Renny. Anyone with that cut file could make a darn close replica and slap a lam on. Just my thoughts. If it rides good who cares.
I think you may be on to something! To some of the other posters on this thread, I have never seen a Yater Spoon with a concave nose. There is always the possibility of a "one-off", but I never saw one and I rode a bunch over the years.

Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
California
Looks like a Spoon to me. Concave deck or on bottom? That would be a one off. Renny did a "Nose Specializer" Model long time ago.
Anyone can do that wedge string config, I do them just like Renny's when someone asks me to do a step deck.
I see the step in there at the right place it should be. I see them all the time at Haakenson's.

John Birges was glassing some for Renny until he moved down to Nicaragua and opened his shop. We knew each other since John worked for Clyde and I'd planned on visiting him, doing some shapes, then he committed suicide and that plan went down the drain.

The signature part is the giveaway that something's not right in Denmark, but that might just be that Lauren shaped it and didn't sign it. Sh-t happens too....... when Clyde took over the original Yater factory on Gray Ave. but Renny & Lauren still had their shaping bays in there, I shaped an order down there. I was in Lauren's room and the light was horrible, I mentioned it to Renny and he told me to try his room. He showed me how his light deflectors were adjustable on angle and it was much easier on the eyes. I then shaped the board, a 9'4" or whatnot and left it for glassing. I had not signed it yet, maybe I was gonna come back in and do final details, I don't quite remember.

Curiously, the board disappeared, and when I came back in, I couldn't find it. It turned out it got mixed up and glassed as a Yater. The guy loved his new Yater....... oh well.

Just sayin.......

JM NB

Apr 22, 2021
Venice
More pics

Attachments

• IMG_9333.jpg
    IMG_9333.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_9331.jpg
    IMG_9331.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_9330.jpg
    IMG_9330.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 28

JM NB

Apr 22, 2021
Venice
Looks like a Spoon to me. Concave deck or on bottom? That would be a one off. Renny did a "Nose Specializer" Model long time ago.
Anyone can do that wedge string config, I do them just like Renny's when someone asks me to do a step deck.
I see the step in there at the right place it should be. I see them all the time at Haakenson's.

John Birges was glassing some for Renny until he moved down to Nicaragua and opened his shop. We knew each other since John worked for Clyde and I'd planned on visiting him, doing some shapes, then he committed suicide and that plan went down the drain.

The signature part is the giveaway that something's not right in Denmark, but that might just be that Lauren shaped it and didn't sign it. Sh-t happens too....... when Clyde took over the original Yater factory on Gray Ave. but Renny & Lauren still had their shaping bays in there, I shaped an order down there. I was in Lauren's room and the light was horrible, I mentioned it to Renny and he told me to try his room. He showed me how his light deflectors were adjustable on angle and it was much easier on the eyes. I then shaped the board, a 9'4" or whatnot and left it for glassing. I had not signed it yet, maybe I was gonna come back in and do final details, I don't quite remember.

Curiously, the board disappeared, and when I came back in, I couldn't find it. It turned out it got mixed up and glassed as a Yater. The guy loved his new Yater....... oh well.

Just sayin.......
Love the story. Whoever shaped mine made fun board. Cheers for the info.