8' wide point back help

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Dognose, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Dognose

Dognose New Member

Jan 13, 2020
    Long Beach, CA
    Asking for some guidance. I'm 55, 185 pounds and surf two or three times a week. North Orange County. From Seal south to Blackies. Rarely make it beyond those breaks. Bolsa 50%, Blackies 25% and a mix of Newps and HB the rest. Once in a while a trip to Sano or Doheny.

I have a terrible jones for a vbowls-ish wide point back board, but know those are primarily point break/lined up boards. I surf junk most of the time. Pitchy, low-tide dumpers. High-tide sand bar mush. And a few good days when the stars align. I romanticize tight-stance, mid-board surfing. My main ride is a 7' EC vbottom. I love it and can surf it how I envision. But more length sounds fun.

Looking at Labyrinth, Thick Lizzy, Hailey, etc. Am I trying to use the wrong tool for the job? I know I can always yank out my 5'10" keel fish or EC for my main breaks, but I'd like to bridge the gap between my 7'0" and 9'4" pig. Thanks.

2. shadydave

shadydave Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
  3. JVREE

JVREE New Member

May 25, 2020
    Brooklyn, NY
    I have a Woodin Mindful Child I love. 8ft- wide point back. I'm on the East Coast, so am surfing shitty beach breaks almost exclusively. The board is fast, lively and has a lot of glide to get through some flat sections. Holds when the waves picks up and pitches. I surf off my back foot so that wide point back gives me the feel I like and am used to from logging the majority of the time. Kurtis makes beautiful well made boards, start to finish.

4. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Not so sure I agree about the v.Bowls being an exclusively point break board -- I surf two of them on the east coast in varying beachbreak conditions. If the conditions are really horrible, it's not great, but neither is any other board. The 8'4" is more longboard-ish and goes in just about anything. The re.Bowls is not a bad suggestion if you were still unsure -- I think the main difference is more rocker in the re.B.

jscottk likes this.
  5. Dognose

Dognose New Member

Jan 13, 2020
    Long Beach, CA
    JVREE and Willy, thanks for the input. I will check out the Child. Sounds like you surf how I do (mostly used to logging a pig, back foot drives it). And thanks for the info on the v.bowls. Maybe the re is better choice for me. I feel I could use a bit of rocker.

6. ks77

ks77 Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Culver City, CA
    For what it's worth... I have a 7'7" Thick Lizzy and an 8' Fowler Platypus (some describe as more user friendly v-bowls). They are pretty different boards in how they feel to me. The Thick Lizzy trims really nicely from the center of the board and requires a bit of a step back to turn it. The Platypus feels like it can/wants to be turned a bit more from the center of the board, not necessarily requiring a hard planted back foot. Not sure I'm describing it well, but the Platypus feels much more unique in how to turn the board and it feels much looser. I've been contemplating selling my Platypus, so if you have any interest DM me, I'm in southern california too.
    Platypus.jpg

7. Artz

Artz Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    I have an 8’6”platypus. Very fun Board. Not just for points and reefs. Nice beach break board.

8. Bruce Fowler

Bruce Fowler Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    The Platypus has a rolled bottom under the rider's stance and flattens out as it exits the tail. This gives it similar propulsion out of turns as an Andreini McVee which has more vee advanced forward and also flattens at the tail.

Ryan's vBowls also have round bottom but further forward than where I place mine. Both boards have the rocker apex shifted aft. Ryan's forward rails are thinner and knifey, mine are rounder & forgiving. Ryan's forward rocker is very straight which can generate very fast trim speed but you need to be careful when positioning for your cutback and quick rail to rail changes.

The round bottom of the Platypus is complemented with a very hard almost boxy rail right in the stance area. This gives the sensitive feel, speed & traction when you lay it over onto the rail and this edge & rail also goes good in soft crap surf. (Water isn't sticking to the shape & hardness of the rail config.)

Chad Marshall had a 6'9" that he told me he got the biggest air of his life & that the board absolutely hauled ass. He surfed it in all kinds of beach break as well as Malibu.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    Artz likes this.
  9. Dognose

Dognose New Member

Jan 13, 2020
    Long Beach, CA
    Thanks for the detailed description, Bruce, and everyone else's input. I'm going to pounce on ks77's platypus. Stoked!

cjdubs7 and hankster like this.
  10. sightpoint

sightpoint Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2014
    2' and onshore