8' boards

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by cuda, May 23, 2013.

1. cuda

cuda Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2007
    8' ish (7'10-8'10) boards are kind of becoming the new mini Simmons. Mals, baby guns, trendy Aussie-phile, redo gussies and so on maybe the new rage. So many shapers from Tyler to R.Lovelace are doing them that it seems like there is something going on.

I always have found the length to be a weird middle ground but with last Springs brief trip on a Hilberrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrs Hot Gen I started seeing this length in more interesting light. I even bought the HG back from Roach for further "research."

Anyhow, Before I start my new (be like me) blog;) wondering what intrigues you guys and gals about boards this length? What are you riding and conditions do you grab your 8'er for?

Haters and skeptics feel free to chime in as well

2. Latte

Latte Active Member

Sep 2, 2008
    USA, near the witches
    Thats my favorite zone for all types of shapes. For me it goes from 7'10" to 8'5".

That length works for me for LB-alternatives to bigger and/or cleaner surf. It all depends if its oversized fish shape (7'10") to over sized shortboard-like design (8'0") a widepoint forward pintail with lots of volume (8'0") to a fat assed - Nugget inspired hybrid at 8'5"....(I actually have some more but that is the basic jest).

Sometime I don't want to feel like I'm 9'0" but want the float, ect...

3. Fishface

Fishface Active Member

Oct 4, 2012
    Del Mar,CA
    IMO they are transition boards when moving down to a shortboard.

On the other hand, if you are assembling a complete quiver, why not.

4. BoardDesign

BoardDesign Member

Mar 14, 2007
    USA
    I love that middle sized board. Great all in one quiver asessory. Here is a 7'10" I just made for Iron&Resin. Sexy.

Attached files
    [​IMG]

5. SMUKES

SMUKES Active Member

Jun 23, 2009
    USA California
    They aren't trannies. They have plenty of merrit in their own right and are way more often the better choice than a shorter trend-sled. This ain't new. I mean if Ryan makes them they must be good... guys down here have never stopped riding 8' eggs, why? Cause they're fun. I don't run long tris cause you surf them from the tail only and then ya got 5' of board out front. Surf them from the middle. And haul ass... ryan lovelace... ya gotta be kidding, cat can barely pop up and angle off...

In my opinion.

6. dogleg

dogleg New Member

Dec 1, 2010
    cuda wrote:
    CHECK OUT DIS NEW FARTS IN MOTION SO SIK!

[​IMG]

7. Ticowannabe

Ticowannabe Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    a 7-10 to 8' will be my next board...something to travel with that will paddle well to an outside reef but still fly and turn in big juicy stuff

8. cuda

cuda Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2007
    yeah Ryan, love or hatem he's in the game but, notice if you will he was my "Z" to the Tyler "A"

peeps seem to rave about his V-bowls

9. cuda

cuda Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2007
    dogleg wrote:
    blend and warp it - looks like a Cheyne Horan tribute - you shape it?

10. cuda

cuda Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2007
    Smukes "trannies" baahahah!
    whaddayah think
    Slide a Trannie.blogspot must be taken already