7.0’ Mandala Stubbie

WesCantDress

Mar 5, 2020
Long Beach, CA
What was your take on that mandala? I'm a little curious but have heard a lot of mixed reviews.

Hey Ryan I was wondering what you’ve heard on the downsides of the Destino. Am a big fan of that board, but in my experience there are some choices manny made with that shape which are limiting.

Both of mine have been 7’6... I shaped an 8’6 interpretation and it didn’t feel as lively, or exciting. Just shaped another interpretation at 8’0 and a third at 7’8 with arc tails (9” block) instead of pin tail and they are riiiiiiders. Been a grin making machines. Would be interested to try a 9’+...

BrazilButtNut

Sep 26, 2018
Ventura, CA
I loved the shape but I think it needs to be above 8’. It was a bit too squirmy for my taste. Wished it was bigger but overall it’s a great shape
Thanks for the feedback and thanks @WesCantDress It seems like they are a little hit or miss.. but when they hit, they hit. I saw one of your self shapes and it looked awesome!

The downside is really just what I've read on the forum. I've heard the longer ones can slide out on the bottom turn or if the waves get a little bigger/steeper. I've heard the shorter ones sometimes lack that magic. I read they're too stiff or they lack the get up and go that you want from a board like that. But I've also heard/talked to people who have longer ones and shorter ones and say they're magic.

I'm on the lookout for a mandala stubbie right now, but I think the TPH is more what I'm after. Or those wide earlier stubbies he made with the sidebites. Not sure if he still makes those or not.

Last edited:

WesCantDress

Mar 5, 2020
Long Beach, CA
Thanks for the feedback and thanks @WesCantDress It seems like they are a little hit or miss.. but when they hit, they hit. I saw one of your self shapes and it looked awesome!

The downside is really just what I've read on the forum. I've heard the longer ones can slide out on the bottom turn or if the waves get a little bigger/steeper. I've heard the shorter ones sometimes lack that magic. I read they're too stiff or they lack the get up and go that you want from a board like that. But I've also heard/talked to people who have longer ones and shorter ones and say they're magic.

I'm on the lookout for a mandala stubbie right now, but I think the TPH is more what I'm after. Or those wide earlier stubbies he made with the sidebites. Not sure if he still makes those or not.

Interesting! I haven't surfed the longer sizes so I can't speak to that, but definitely have had some sketchy days on my single fin when its bigger/steeper. Seriously, when it's gets big and all you have is that single fin it turns into a point and shoot situation, with the added feeling of "drop in and try to survive until you reach the shoulder". On steeper days all that planing area works against you.

However when it comes to stiffness at the shorter lengths, I think that may be an issue of what the surfer was riding prior. If you're coming from a shorter board to the clandestino then you may try and surf it strictly from the middle, which will not work. It will feel like a lead boat with a hatchet fin if you're trying to turn from the middle. Coming from a longboard background I am constantly walking to the tail to steer, and in my opinion this the key to the clandestino (and other midlengths in the 7'0 - 8'6 range).

I rode a 8.5" Frye Flex, all the way back in the box. I had to constantly remind myself to step my rear foot back about 6" when I wanted to turn off the bottom, then once my line was set, step that rear foot back up to middle to groove, rollercoaster, bank and highline all day. Once you speed out onto the shoulder, step rear foot back again to lay it on a rail. Devon Howard is a great example. If you watch his section in Free Jazz Vein you can see that back-foot-mid-length-magic on full display.

Recently I picked up a 7'6 Clandestino with side bites and it surfs head high and steep like a champ. Still pretty flat rocker to navigate, but much more confident underfoot.

Really interested in the stubby as well. If you grab one I’d be way interested in a ride report!

BrazilButtNut

Sep 26, 2018
Ventura, CA
Interesting! I haven't surfed the longer sizes so I can't speak to that, but definitely have had some sketchy days on my single fin when its bigger/steeper. Seriously, when it's gets big and all you have is that single fin it turns into a point and shoot situation, with the added feeling of "drop in and try to survive until you reach the shoulder". On steeper days all that planing area works against you.

However when it comes to stiffness at the shorter lengths, I think that may be an issue of what the surfer was riding prior. If you're coming from a shorter board to the clandestino then you may try and surf it strictly from the middle, which will not work. It will feel like a lead boat with a hatchet fin if you're trying to turn from the middle. Coming from a longboard background I am constantly walking to the tail to steer, and in my opinion this the key to the clandestino (and other midlengths in the 7'0 - 8'6 range).

I rode a 8.5" Frye Flex, all the way back in the box. I had to constantly remind myself to step my rear foot back about 6" when I wanted to turn off the bottom, then once my line was set, step that rear foot back up to middle to groove, rollercoaster, bank and highline all day. Once you speed out onto the shoulder, step rear foot back again to lay it on a rail. Devon Howard is a great example. If you watch his section in Free Jazz Vein you can see that back-foot-mid-length-magic on full display.

Recently I picked up a 7'6 Clandestino with side bites and it surfs head high and steep like a champ. Still pretty flat rocker to navigate, but much more confident underfoot.

Really interested in the stubby as well. If you grab one I’d be way interested in a ride report!
Thanks for the feedback. That's really helpful. Not a ton of info out there on certain models so great to hear. I've ridden a 6'3 or 6'4 TPH back in the day and it was awesome. Really buttery feeling but still a little more user friendly than a full on bladed hull.

I've been hoping a 7'-8' TPH would pop up for like 2+ years now but not a ton of luck. I reached out to Manny a little while ago but I think he's swamped. Those shorter, wider stubbies he makes with the sidebites also look fun but have never tried one.

Prudacris

Dec 18, 2020
Oceanside
what would yall say is a fair price for that 7'0 Clandestino that has made its rounds and is currently on craigslist? $700...600? Im a lifelong sub 6 foot thruster guy that wants to take the plunge into these style boards. Ive been considering a 6'10 ish vaquero or a shorter Clandestino. im in north county san diego so mostly surf softish clean waves and rarely get to lined up points...any thoughts or guidance is appreciated.