50's vs 60's Pig?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Ryan, Apr 21, 2020.

1. DKNJ

DKNJ Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2016
    Ocean, NJ
    PIGS.jpg Pigs are fun.

DJR, Surfertom, Ryan and 3 others like this.
  2. Tenfooter

Tenfooter Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2014
    USA Rhode Island
    are you nuts? Riding a classic noserider and a tyler, but wanna add a pig?

whats wrong with you?

I hate pigs, with my guts. I have a couple of them. Modern pigs.

They are only good when the wave has a punch, and speed. If not, they are turds.

But I guess you have those waves daily in Cali. Here in RI, not at all.

I would get a JP noserider, or a Coop.

3. Ryan

Ryan New Member

Apr 12, 2020
    Encinitas, San Diego
    Exactly what I’ll be riding it in. Set the line and run.

Andrew Johnson likes this.
  4. Artz

Artz Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    I found that my modified Pig Styled after the Takayama/ Nat Young pig That was built in the 1990s was one of the most versatile Boards I ever owned. Worked well in beach break slop and was stellar at Cardiff and Swamies. Great memories of surfing it at Church on a very small day.

5. Sax-son

Sax-son Active Member

Nov 23, 2019
    Three Rivers, CA
    My first surfboard was a 9'2" Con pig shape from around 1964. I never really bonded with that board. It looked beautiful, but I thought it was a dog. On the other hand, my friend had a 9'6" Hobie, a very early 60's pig shape that was one of those magic boards. Therefore it's the luck of the draw I suppose. I had a 9'8" Bing Nuuhiwa Lightweight that is more of a modern pig template based on the Magic Sam board and in my opinion is arguably the best longboard to come out of that era. There is something to say about those boards that have to wide point back from center.

6. miscreant

miscreant Well-Known Member

May 20, 2016
    Tenfooter’s comments were entertaining. Hating an entire design based on a few experiences from a niche is pretty classic.

Thunder Chicken, shadydave and TonyPR like this.
  7. Sax-son

Sax-son Active Member

Nov 23, 2019
    Three Rivers, CA
    One has to be careful about discarding any design based on a few bad experiences. I have found that you can have very similar shapes and there will always be that one board that stands out from the rest for some reason. It's one of those things where the end result ends up greater than the sum of its parts.

JMJackFish and miscreant like this.
  8. Ricksurfin

Ricksurfin Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2019
    San Clemente, CA
    Wine me, dine me, and then swine me. I’ve found that wide point back longboards work best for me in beach break.

Artz likes this.