50's vs 60's Pig?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Ryan, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Ryan

Ryan New Member

Apr 12, 2020
    Encinitas, San Diego
    Wanted to get some input on some of the differences between a 50's vs 60's style pig.

For lack of better examples:
    50's: Tanner Dash https://www.tannersurfboards.co/dash-1
    60's: Bing Feral Pig https://bingsurf.com/collections/feral-pig/products/12619-96-feral-pig

Currently in my longboard quiver I am riding a traditional noserider and a Tyler Wingnose. There is room for another style...

Looking to add an aft hipped longboard to the quiver for some wiggle but also for some speed on quicker beach breaks. It's my understanding that 60's style pigs will hold on the nose while tight in the pocket. I have my doubts about the Tanner Dash shape being able to do the same.

To me, the 50/50 rails of the bing will support the fast trim nose riding, not the 60/40 rails of the Dash.

Thanks for the input and helping me define the thoughts in my head.

DKNJ likes this.
  2. ClassicRider

ClassicRider Active Member

Sep 22, 2014
    Hawaii
    I have a Bing Feral pig and love it, Matt did a killer job of keeping it true to pig form but making small tweaks to make it more manageable. I have surfed plenty pigs in my time and another one that I won't let out of my quiver is a Pignar by Dano. I have never surfed a tanner pig though so I can't compare the two directly.

Ryan likes this.
  3. miscreant

miscreant Well-Known Member

May 20, 2016
    I’d suggest patience and experimentation. If you can afford the resources, pull the trigger on whatever you feel like getting for whatever reason.

Surf it.

if you like it, you scored! If not, sell it, go on to the next.

I come from the perspective of surfing a Pig for what it is. I mean if you are going to surf a pig, then acquire something that can be a good basis of reference.

I’d think balsa velzy Jacobs style for 50’s

and

Magic Sam style thing for 60’s

I’m ignorant regarding the nuances of that Tanner (rocker, weight, fin, bottom contour...)

The feral pig is a great board. It is an amazing, functional board. I have never really thought of it as a 60s pig per se. I always think of 60s pigs as having lower rail volume, raked fins, and slight v toward the back, lighter weight than a 50s.

4. DJR

DJR Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2018
    Carolina Beach NC
    Knowledge !

miscreant likes this.
  5. strez

strez Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Hamilton, Massachusetts
  6. Ryan

Ryan New Member

Apr 12, 2020
    Encinitas, San Diego
  7. Ryan

Ryan New Member

Apr 12, 2020
    Encinitas, San Diego
    Preach it. I appreciate the message.

miscreant likes this.
  8. bluemarlin04

bluemarlin04 Active Member

Dec 10, 2018
    Hawaii
    DJR likes this.
  9. deemce

deemce Well-Known Member

May 18, 2010
    USA Pennsylvania
    Was trading emails with Mark at Happy Battle Surf about this board. I have to confirm what others wrote about him. He was very easy to deal with and supplied more than enough information. His shop is a "must visit" the next time I get out to SD.

PS - Someone else got the JP before I could. :(

BoardDesign and DJR like this.