(4) 20’ Trex Outdoor Decking Boards

KDenning

May 14, 2015
Ventura, CA
I’ve got four 20’ pieces of Trex outdoor decking left over from my last van build (client didn’t like this color on the van so we went with a different brand).

Posting here with the thought that someone might want to make a shower platform for post-surf rinse downs or if someone has an outdoor shower project in mind....?

$400 new, open to any reasonable offer honestly. It didn’t cost me anything and I don’t have any use for it!

Local pick up in Ventura only (understandably).

Bonus picture of a finished roof deck from another build!

3B8CF41A-ECD1-4758-9223-A7CE38DFEE3B.jpeg

Attachments

• 3660A3B7-DB2D-4D21-97A2-204F6D93C4DE.jpeg
    3660A3B7-DB2D-4D21-97A2-204F6D93C4DE.jpeg
    68.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 3C7BE388-3DF2-451B-A757-54BDB38CA20B.jpeg
    3C7BE388-3DF2-451B-A757-54BDB38CA20B.jpeg
    75.5 KB · Views: 70

Belchfire1

Oct 27, 2020
Encinitas
I’ve got four 20’ pieces of Trex outdoor decking left over from my last van build (client didn’t like this color on the van so we went with a different brand).

Posting here with the thought that someone might want to make a shower platform for post-surf rinse downs or if someone has an outdoor shower project in mind....?

$400 new, open to any reasonable offer honestly. It didn’t cost me anything and I don’t have any use for it!

Local pick up in Ventura only (understandably).

Bonus picture of a finished roof deck from another build!

View attachment 31741
GLWTS, btw how did you attach the Trex to the crossbars? I have a van and wanted to build something like this. Thanks!

KDenning

May 14, 2015
Ventura, CA
GLWTS, btw how did you attach the Trex to the crossbars? I have a van and wanted to build something like this. Thanks!
The roof rack from Flatline van company has 15 series 80/20 aluminum cross bars. Slide a t nut in there, drill a 1/4 hole in the decking, and pass through a 1/4-20 bolt. Drilling the holes so that it lines up perfectly with the slot/t nut that it needs to find is the tricky part - you cannot be off by much at all. I make my own jigs out of scrap birch so that it’s replicable

Belchfire1

Oct 27, 2020
Encinitas
The roof rack from Flatline van company has 15 series 80/20 aluminum cross bars. Slide a t nut in there, drill a 1/4 hole in the decking, and pass through a 1/4-20 bolt. Drilling the holes so that it lines up perfectly with the slot/t nut that it needs to find is the tricky part - you cannot be off by much at all. I make my own jigs out of scrap birch so that it’s replicable
Good idea K. Thanks for the info. How many crossbars do you attach the Trex to? Every 4' or so? Thanks again

KDenning

May 14, 2015
Ventura, CA
Good idea K. Thanks for the info. How many crossbars do you attach the Trex to? Every 4' or so? Thanks again
Happy to share!!

The decking is attached every 14 inches on center! For this deck that’s seven cross bars and the deck is over 6’ long, likely closer to 7’

trucker

Apr 24, 2008
OB, San Diego
I was wondering about heat. I’ve got a trex deck at home and it is awesome… except that it gets super hot in direct sun.

And I’ve got some left over boards so now I’m tempted to make something for my truck…

KDenning

May 14, 2015
Ventura, CA
deck weight? seems like trex would be heavy af and there'd be better options given the $$$ people spend on these
In my opinion it’s extremely negligible (weight wise).

The decking pictured is Azek. The texture, the aesthetics, and the weight make it an amazing choice but that’s just my opinion! Heat wise I haven’t had an issue with the Azek decking.

As far as pricing goes, Aluminess will make you an all-aluminum rack for twice the price and a 4-6 month lead time.

Compared to the rest of the building/time that I put into my rigs, this is a simple way to make fun use out of otherwise wasted space.