2016 Boardroom

O

OrangeDog

This sums up the Lovelace hate right here.

What happened to congratulating a guy on a job well done? Jezzus.

Jul 24, 2014
Had a great time yesterday, talk with Randy Rarick for about an hour, "GREAT" dude, Andreni had some funny tales, what a craftsman, Copperfish man was real nice cool dude, gave him a T-shirt then had a good talk with Lopez about doing me a balsa bolt, said to give him a holler this week, very out going dude. Mike Hyson show up and we truck around together for awhile and ended up at Jim Philps both, WOW, did he have some great looking sticks, next meet up with Rodger Hinds, this dude makes some nice boards also, so many good people, so much energy fun.

gene

Oct 1, 2004
It was fun meeting up with some Jammers yesterday. The show was really fun. Always great to talk to Roach. Mango. Choked. Thanks for all the help Smukes. Congratulations to Ryan.

bbslider001

Jul 16, 2014
I love the "lowdown" for the boardroom. Good times.

-loud
-commercialized to the hilt
-so many boards to see that my visual acuity was WAY overstimulated
-met up with Roach, enjoyed some good observation of Gene and Jim and Colapinto boards
-got the rundown on the helix stuff from Vince at the CJ booth but could heart SH** because it was so dang loud
-oh and surf was TOTES blownout....bad

Gene, the V-bottom was off the planet!! I now know what my next goal in this life....obtain a Cooperfish V-Bottom.

Big D

Nov 4, 2009
Ticowannabe wrote:
Big D wrote:
Ticowannabe wrote:
Big D wrote:
I enjoyed the show this year. Haven't been to one in a couple years as they've been a bit redundant. I needed a breather I guess….
-Spent almost an hour over at the ukulele section fondling the Pepe Romero's and spoke with Hank of Kimo ukes about getting a custom uke made. My daughter enjoyed strumming the demo as well.
-Spoke with Bob Mitsven a while about the effects of the possible increased weight on bonzer tails due to all the fin rope/resin/glassing.
-Spoke with Marc Andreini about a custom Vaquero and getting it dropped off in Santa Barbara.
-Purchased some art from a couple vendors.
-All and all it was nice event I thought.

Bring out the tin foil hats though, but all things considered….With the talent that went into that booth to replicate the Lopez board, is it a little coincidental that the individual who won happens to have a recent business relationship with Mr. Lopez?
i am unaware of the business relationship, please fill us all in. i will say gerry can have his pick of whom ever he wants to do business with in this and other industries and seems to have done quite well at it. he has good taste and a good eye for talent, aside from all his other accomplishments.
By all means, this is not a shot at Ryan. He just shaped the board and put it up there for judging like all the rest. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't his shop recently start carrying Gerry's boards in the last month or so?
It's like Bernie Sanders championing for the little people but his recently released tax return showed a mere 4% donations to charity. The universe is spinning out of control I tell ya...
so you are saying gerry lopez can be bought for literally 1 or 2 boards sitting in ryans little shop...seriously? one can only imagine the kind of power you wielded when you worked at icons a much larger well stocked shop. you are a good family man D, and i enjoy surfing with you, but your position on ryan is long and well documented
John, again...not a shot at Ryan. As I said previously, he just shaped the board and put it up there for judging like all the rest.

Also, I didn't wield much power as I only worked weekends to help out a friend. I got good at wielding a broom though. In addition I can't speak for Gerry, nor Bernie. But I've seen things just as ridiculous happen in the industry before standing on the sideline with my broom.

dingdong

Jan 14, 2013
USA California
my 2 cents because jams is my life...ryan took my money and shaped me a board, and I got the sense he genuinely cared about what he was shaping me, and he actually listened to me about what I wanted, delivered on time, no b.s. no run arounds, and he stayed up late to meet me way past business hours, I actually enjoyed giving him my money...glad he won, congrats Ryan!

Roadmaster

Nov 19, 2015
USA Virginia
I ordered a board from Jim Phillips, my second JP, a 10'4" blue tint Ka Po'e Ae'a in feburary. A couple of weeks ago he said it was about ready but he wanted it for display at the Boardroom Show. That was cool with me, looks very good from the photo. Sure hope that it gets boxed and shipped out promptly, that's a hint, Jim.
This will be for the bigger days here in Virginia Beach, and the Outer Banks when I am able to travel again. This may answer the question as to what is the best glider for beach breaks. I think someone in that tread suggested a board like this, a non glider really, is the best for steep beach break. the Ka Po'e Ae'a is made with two different rockers, more rocker for steep waves and less rocker and usually a longer board for a more glider like board.

Attached files