2016 Boardroom

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Ticowannabe, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Ticowannabe

Ticowannabe Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    couldn't have happened to a nicer guy

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Big D

Big D Active Member

Nov 4, 2009
    I enjoyed the show this year. Haven't been to one in a couple years as they've been a bit redundant. I needed a breather I guess….
    -Spent almost an hour over at the ukulele section fondling the Pepe Romero's and spoke with Hank of Kimo ukes about getting a custom uke made. My daughter enjoyed strumming the demo as well.
    -Spoke with Bob Mitsven a while about the effects of the possible increased weight on bonzer tails due to all the fin rope/resin/glassing.
    -Spoke with Marc Andreini about a custom Vaquero and getting it dropped off in Santa Barbara.
    -Purchased some art from a couple vendors.
    -All and all it was nice event I thought.

Bring out the tin foil hats though, but all things considered….With the talent that went into that booth to replicate the Lopez board, is it a little coincidental that the individual who won happens to have a recent business relationship with Mr. Lopez?

3. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    So John, Jan and I were cruz'in Capistrano old town the other day when we met some fellow Washingtonians from Olympia now on Guemes Island. The lady has been friends of Ryan as a child and made a special trip down here to the Boardroom to see him. Indeed, saw him shaping but wanted to chat with him. Sounds like a fine grounded young man who found his passion.

4. Ticowannabe

Apr 25, 2012
    Big D wrote:
    i am unaware of the business relationship, please fill us all in. i will say gerry can have his pick of whom ever he wants to do business with in this and other industries and seems to have done quite well at it. he has good taste and a good eye for talent, aside from all his other accomplishments. if you know your shit, you don't select hacks to join you in business

5. Big D

Big D Active Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Ticowannabe wrote:
    By all means, this is not a shot at Ryan. He just shaped the board and put it up there for judging like all the rest. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't his shop recently start carrying Gerry's boards in the last month or so?
    It's like Bernie Sanders championing for the little people but his recently released tax return showed a mere 4% donations to charity. The universe is spinning out of control I tell ya...

6. Ticowannabe

Apr 25, 2012
    Big D wrote:
    so you are saying gerry lopez can be bought for literally 1 or 2 boards sitting in ryans little shop...seriously? one can only imagine the kind of power you wielded when you worked at icons a much larger well stocked shop. you are a good family man D, and i enjoy surfing with you, but your position on ryan is long and well documented

7. jbb

jbb Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Ticowannabe wrote:
    And so is yours, John. Well documented.

8. Ticowannabe

Apr 25, 2012
    jbb wrote:
    to me there is a difference when you like someones work and support it, as you have done many times with many shapers Larry, and good on ya..
    i try to keep my public opinions on shapers work either positive or to myself.
    especially when they just won a prestigious shaping contest against an excellent field with a lot of experienced eyes watching.... i guess it must be embarrassing to some of our experts on here.

9. SMUKES

SMUKES Active Member

Jun 23, 2009
    USA California
    This shit is priceless. Jehova be praised right roy?

10. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    My problem with Ryan is that he has hair.