2016 Boardroom

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Ticowannabe, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Ticowannabe

Ticowannabe Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    [​IMG]word on the street is Ryan is bringing the original GG to the show, will be in his booth along with this black and white GG inspired beauty
    it's nice to have so many shapers revisiting the design.
    Should be some thing's of major interest at the show, really wish i could be there.

https://www.instagram.com/ryanlovelace/

2. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    Wish you could be there too John to keep me from salivating over all the boards. They'll probably 86 me within the first half hour of the show. Met a friend of Ryan's in town today from Washington and surfed with a guy today who flew Lopez in his private plane from Bend yesterday for the show. Sounds like this thing is going to be a big deal?

3. kiwi

kiwi Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Gene has a 10' Mello Yello at he show, "the last one that will ever be made"... via Instagram.

4. Fishy

Fishy Active Member

Aug 22, 2014
    Went today. Here's my take.
    • Expensive[/*]
    • Small[/*]
    • Loud[/*]
    • Commercial vibe[/*]
    • Some guys on a panel trying to sound insightful and not quite pulling it off.[/*]
    • Five or six really cool booths with actual shapers I'm interested in but the scene wasn't all that conclusive to a good conversation.[/*]
    • Said hi to Bob Mitsven. [/*]
    • Couldn't find the andreini booth, which is what I mainly went for.[/*]
    • Not sure it's worth $15 plus $10 to get in the door.[/*]
    Turns out the wind wasn't that bad. Should've surfed instead.

5. SMUKES

SMUKES Active Member

Jun 23, 2009
    USA California
    Marc was next to anderson who was across from gene just down from cj but adjacent to a guy who makes beer coozies.

6. FirstPointEric

FirstPointEric Well-Known Member

7. OrangeDog

OrangeDog Guest

Fishy wrote:
    All the reasons I went surfing instead.

8. FryedGuy

FryedGuy Member

Mar 2, 2016
    USA California
    I really enjoy this venue..... ESPECIALLY because I won an "shaping kit" from the foam ez raffle!!!! 6'2" shortboard blank Marko EPS natural rocker, cloth, resin and a red carbon strip because apparently your shortboard ain't sh!t unless you've got carbon strips in it :?

9. FryedGuy

FryedGuy Member

Mar 2, 2016
    USA California
    The shaping contest is a great way to see talented craftsman showcase their skills. I found myself discussing the already shaped Lopez blanks with Tim Patterson, but had no clue who he was. Friendly guy. He felt me out and listened to what I had to say for a minute then we went our separate ways. I'm sure my encounter was somewhat by design as he wanted an unbiased outsiders opinion. He then proceeded to go into the shaping bay and start getting situated for his turn at replicating that beautiful Lopez mini-gun. I asked him if he was indeed the next shaper and introduced myself, he greeted me back and acknowledged me for my input. T. Pattersons A-OK in my book! I never really noticed his work because he's mainly a shortboard guy.

10. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    This was my first rodeo when it came to a "surf expo". I thought it was cool. Met Andrew at Jim's booth. Nice gentleman. Beautiful boards. Saw Gene then met up with kp at Andrieni's booth. Caught up with Jeff Clark after 40 years. Then met up with Glen at RFC and talked in good length about duck hunting, scull boats and Aeolus Boat Works. Bumped into Pezman and tripped over Gerry. Good times. Yep, it wasn't a cheap affair but it beat battling the weekend surf warriors. But again, this was my first show so I really don't have a perspective.