1949/50 Simmons..NEW UPDATES

SMUKES

Jun 23, 2009
USA California
I'd take it down to bare wood and do whatever is necessary to stop decay here. Given the rarity and historical importance, stabilization and preservation are in order. I could see Jim Phillips being a resource.

Driftwood

Dec 2, 2014
France
Thank you for posting the photos and giving the known history. What a neat find.

I agree that it "should" be stabilized, from there you can keep as much of the current state as you like. That's the best way to make sure that the story continues for another seventy years at least.

And I definitely think that it would be worth a discussion with Jim. Incredible wood worker and about as knowledgable on balsas as you can find.

James Irvin

Jun 27, 2020
Sacramento California
Thank you for posting the photos and giving the known history. What a neat find.

I agree that it "should" be stabilized, from there you can keep as much of the current state as you like. That's the best way to make sure that the story continues for another seventy years at least.

And I definitely think that it would be worth a discussion with Jim. Incredible wood worker and about as knowledgable on balsas as you can find.
Thank you Driftwood I appreciate your info. I will check in with Jim and there is another individual that was mentioned to me

hankster

Nov 12, 2013
San Francisco
Yeeewww! I was on a surf trip in the Galapagos in 2006. Richard Kenvin, Dave Rastovich, Daniel Thompson and Donavon Frankenreiter were there filming Hydrodynamica (has it ever been released?).

They had a Simmons replica, made out of balsa, that looks very similar to the plan shape of your Simmons. It was a twin fin. By all means contact Richard Kenvin.

James Irvin

Jun 27, 2020
Sacramento California
Yeeewww! I was on a surf trip in the Galapagos in 2006. Richard Kenvin, Dave Rastovich, Daniel Thompson and Donavon Frankenreiter were there filming Hydrodynamica (has it ever been released?).

They had a Simmons replica, made out of balsa, that looks very similar to the plan shape of your Simmons. It was a twin fin. By all means contact Richard Kenvin.
Richard Kenvin, I will look that name up

dubstar

Nov 9, 2019
OK, Richard got back to me:

"Hi John,

He shouldn't touch it in my opinion other than take steps to preserve the wood. I know that board, Hans is an old friend of mine. He was my boss at Su Casa restaurant 1981-1984.

Thanks for sending.

Richard"

JMAC

Feb 10, 2019
Northern Santa Barbara County
Just adding my 2 cents after seeing all the pics and reading the letter. It was ridden into the ground and left to rot away. It was saved for someone to decide to restore or not later. If you decide to have it restored seek out a knowledgeable person. @shapewright did an amazing job on an old Matt Kivlin personal Malibu Chip that I thought came out great. If you decide to leave it as is well that's OK too. Thanks for sharing

James Irvin

Jun 27, 2020
Sacramento California
OK, Richard got back to me:

"Hi John,

He shouldn't touch it in my opinion other than take steps to preserve the wood. I know that board, Hans is an old friend of mine. He was my boss at Su Casa restaurant 1981-1984.

Thanks for sending.

Richard"

Thank You Richard

jonbiz

Jan 11, 2016
Wilmington NC
I would fix it to stabilize it and we’ll when the right waves are breaking like the waves Simmons like I would ride it. No board should just hang on the wall. Thank you for sharing look forward to the final outcome

Reactions: DJR