10' Cooperfish Nose Devil Fatherhood Give-Away part 2

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by green t, Oct 4, 2017.

1. green t

green t Member

Jan 14, 2008
    So Cal
    Being offered up again in honor of Seth, his generosity, and his kindness to those that he didn’t even know, is his same Cooperfish Nose Devil.

It was given away nearly 8 years ago and has not been ridden since.

The same give-away criteria stands as before (attached below is the former post for specific reference)

The only changes are the dates as this will run from Oct 4, 2017 to Nov 4, 2017

The board is located in Southern CA

Oh, and the board actually measures to be 9’6” not 10’

It is all fixed up and water tight. It weighs close to 30lbs

Please send me your letters. I will field them and may consult one of Seth’s good friends for help on who to give it to. My intentions are to simply honor Seth's original wishes for the board.

How did this all come about?

I went to visit my friend who was the original winner of the Cooperfish Nose Devil that was donated by Seth, to inform him of Seth’s passing. Needless to say he was sad to hear the news. We spoke for awhile and later both agreed that the board was not being utilized to what Seth’s intentions were, as it has sat in the corner of his living room ever since he received it nearly 8 years ago.

To recap on my friends story: While waiting at a red light, a car behind him failed to stop, launching off a car that was stopped a few back from his, only to land on top of his side of the car crushing the roof, leaving him with a life altering brain injury. He went from surfing daily, to the long and slow process of trying to retrain his brain to control the left side of his body. His girlfriend at the time was pregnant and in the driver’s seat but miraculously was unscathed physically. Later she “spun out” mentally and emotionally and broke it off with him immediately after the accident. She did not cope with the situation very well and in his mind suffered more damage from the accident then he did. She has not dated since, stopped talking to all her friends, and only recently started leaving the house. His kid is an awesome athlete and an energetic little maniac of an 8 year old, “a chip off the old block” he says with a smirk.

Long story short, due to my friends physical inability to use the board and lack of money for therapy, I offered to buy the board from him. He said: “I feel like a douchebag for taking money for Seth’s act of kindness, but with all my money going to medical bills, child support, and financially being so tight, I could really use the money for therapy.”

So as not to take away from Seth and his spirit, but to continue his path of goodness I wanted to help my friend by buying the board to support his therapy progress and then sending the board back out into the Jamboards community for donation as Seth had intended. Seth’s character and his early passing has also inspired me to want to try and help others less fortunate than I so if anyone would like to donate to my friend, please P.M. me and we will figure out how to do so.

Good Luck! It is not my intention to fill Seth’s tremendous shoes but only to pay it forward. I appreciate and look forward to all the submissions. A winner will be announced soon after Nov 4th.

(Seth’s original post for the board give away is below…)

30 January 2010

Dear Longboard.Net Surfing Forum,

I just visited my good friend, who is a father of four in San Diego. I noticed how well-behaved his kids were, and what a happy family he and his wife had there. Indeed, it is a testimony to his wonderful wife, his great example, and the two working together to effectively raise a family in crazy, insane times.

Reflecting on this, and piecing together a series of thoughts from the last few months, I would like to offer my Cooperfish Nose Devil to a father who would like to teach his son and/or daughter surfing - or join their child in the line-up on an absolutely fantastic surfboard.

I could sell this board for (a few) hundreds of dollars, but the joy of giving it to a family for their use would be much better it seems to me.

Here's the pitch:

1. I am offering this Cooperfish, shaped by Gene, to a deserving father and son/daughter team. It is located in San Diego, and I can give you access to it no problem. (I am located in New Jersey, but we can work logistics). I will not pay for shipping, but I will kindly ask my neighbor to drop the board wherever you wish if you live far from SD. (If you cannot afford shipping, but you have a good story, I will see what I can figure out).

2. Post your situation (with pics, or however you feel comfortable), or you can email me personally if you do not wish to post information publicly, which I completely understand. Use this address: sastone@princeton.edu (Subj: NOSEDEVIL). Tell me your story, and I will choose a 'winner'.

3. You can nominate a friend whom you think would be stoked to get their child, and themselves, on one of Gene's boards.

4. Bottom Line, I will make a decision no later than the morning of 11 FEB 2010 for the giveaway (so we can move on to the entertaining Cooperfish auction!).

5. If you are a mom who is fired up, surfing with your kid, please feel free to participate, and send me your info/story.

6. Lastly, if you are a father-to-be, you are eligible.

Gene's shapes have brought me a lot of fun, and I want to extend that joy to someone else and their family.

Being in the military, I have been overseas since 2000, on and off. I fight for my country, because I love it truly. And, fatherhood is an important (as important as motherhood) facet that will continue to make this country strong into the future.

And, I figured this would be a heck of a lot more fun and interesting than the typical 'hey i got a dinged up board for sale, etc'

I could just give this board to my best buddy, but he knows that he and his kids can have any of my coops anytime. So I want to extend this to the longboard forum and your friends.

There is no catch. I am a straight-up guy, and this is no gimmick. I hope that folks feel like participating.

Good luck,

Unfrozen Caveman

IMG_5783.jpg IMG_5785.jpg

2. DownSouthSlidah

DownSouthSlidah Member

Oct 30, 2007
    I cant believe I missed the news of Seth's passing. I am so sad to hear of it. He brought so much to this board and, by other accounts I've heard over the years, to his many friends.

I love that you are passing on his stoke that honors him in a way that I'm sure would make him smile.

3. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Aloha spirit lives. Seth's good deeds will continue to feed Aloha for years to come, I don't believe he had any idea of the positive effect he had on so many people, I wish he did.

4. sonOsea

sonOsea Active Member

Apr 6, 2010
    USA
  5. Wade In The Waves

Wade In The Waves Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2012
    USA North Carolina
    This is epic on many levels. So many people pass through this World and never make a difference. Seth isn't one of those guys. I only met him a few times, shared a session and we messaged occasionally, but he is someone that I always looked up to and respected. He left everyone that he came into contact with a better person. It is awesome how he gifted this board to someone originally and it is awesome that you are doing this again.

6. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Sorry to hear that the original recipient was unable to use it (and that his recovery hasn't been so wonderful), but it's great that you were willing and able to get involved and help pay it forward. I've been thinking about that fatherhood giveaway ever since I read about it -- it's such an incredible and unique thing to do in the first place, and it's incredibly rad that you've taken on the task of keeping it going. Good on you.

7. T-Bone

T-Bone Active Member

It is pretty amazing to think of the thought that went into the original give away by Seth, and gives you a further glimpse into him as a person, then to have the original recipient think along the same line, and wanting to honor Seth is special also. There is no doubt that this forum is made up of a lot of people who are always thinking about the the Bigger picture! Kudos to you guys for honoring his original intent, and paying it forward.

8. pefa

pefa Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2008
    Bi
    Aloha green T!!!!! Absolutely awesome stoke that can change lives forever- just beautiful!!
    Spirit never dies

9. 70s SanO

70s SanO Active Member

Feb 16, 2004
    MIssion Viejo, California
    Sad story but beautiful gesture. I have been so fortunate to surf with our twin boys. There is nothing better than whooping and hollering it up as your kids first learn and then really embrace everything surfing. A van with a bunch of boards and packed with teenagers on the way to a session is such a great time. A lot of times we took turns shooting videos and our boys and their friends would watch and relive the waves they shared together.

It would be super cool if someone in San Diego could take your friend's son out and get him surfing and someday pass the Cooperfish on to him. Even if your friend can no longer surf, watching your kid perched on the nose is almost as good.

John

shadydave, WhiteRussian and pefa like this.
  10. applekat

applekat Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2007
    i still feel this post deserves a place atop the forum.

that's just me.

pcat.jpg