“Support your local shaper…”

BoardAddict

Apr 6, 2015
USA California
I am perplexed here. Many shapers talk “support your local shaper” but then go and ship containers of boards to Japan for big $$. I get the $$ equation. If that is their business, I question the critics who fault people for purchasing from overseas when it can be cheaper to buy a board and have it shipped here? And then there are those who shape almost exclusively for export. Can’t talk the talk and turn your back on LOCAL SURFERS…..or? Sincere questions here about a topic that gets attention now and then. Things that make me go hmmmmm.

stopchewingplease

May 1, 2021
SoCal
While true, your reasoning may be slightly misleading. Kinda chicken and egg sorta dealeo.

Those shapers still need to make enough money to pay to live their life IF shaping is their primary source of income (whether or not shaping should be someone's primary source of income is up to debate IMO).
Japan allows them the ability to make that threshold money and still supply boards to their local surfers because there are not enough local surfers who care about local shapers particularly in CA it seems to offset the cost of living.
Supporting your local shaper is an attempt to rebuild that local customer base that can allow a shaper to exist as "local" and otherwise for the moment they still need to make money. The "Local Shaper / Local Surfer" relationship is the ideal that is being worked towards and it is a lot less demanding to just be a local surfer than a local shaper... especially if you already have enough money to live in SoCal...

BoardAddict

Apr 6, 2015
USA California
I get the “fixed cost coverage.” Local shapers busy for 1-2 years with a focus on export make me wonder how local surfers support local shapers.

And we all know the big names that “hand shape” or, maybe more accurate, hand finish a machine shape and still set prices at $2k+. Hmmmmm…

stopchewingplease

May 1, 2021
SoCal
I have no doubt that the message is additionally being abused by local "brands"

So skepticism is definitely required, I just believe in and want to work for the original goal. Sense of place is so rare nowadays anyway, it would be really nice to facilitate more occasions for and emphasis on community.

SeniorGrom

Mar 20, 2012
USA New Jersey
Could be that I don’t live on the West Coast so not exposed to those shapers you write about. I can’t think of any shapers who ignore surfers who are nearby them AND only ship their custom hand shapes to Japan for huge profits. When I read your post seems to me you are being intentionally obscure and accusatory.

The ‘support local’ concept to me means, go out of your house, talk to other humans, build relationships, AND stop buying all your stuff off the internet.

Last edited:

BoardAddict

Apr 6, 2015
USA California
Could be that I don’t live on the West Coast so not exposed to those shapers you write about. I can’t think of any shapers who ignore surfers who are nearby them AND only ship their custom hand shapes to Japan for huge profits. When I read your post seems to me you are being intentionally obscure and accusatory.

The ‘support local’ concept to me means, go out of your house, talk to other humans, build relationships, AND stop buying all your stuff off the internet.
Not an accusation. They are in bu$iness. I get it. But you can’t talk out if both sides of your mouth. More of a “save some water for the fish” idea. No hate or malice.