Zippi testimonials?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by kclibman, Jun 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. kclibman

kclibman Active Member

May 23, 2018
    L.A. County
    Was looking for a good summer, back-of-the-truck kind board that I could just leave in my Explorer for pre/post-work sessions in shitty LA windslop, and came across this little number today, along with the Lokbox keels. Digging the spacey nose band spray w/pinlines, and while it's got some seriously ugly ding repairs that I'm going to clean up, it feels like it'll do the job.

While it's a tank at roughly 6'0" x 21.75 x 2.75 (and I'm 5'9" + 175 lbs., I know this is way too much foam but it's just for crusing), it's my first Zippi and I'm curious what to expect from it - the little tail channel is a trip! I hate that I've been in the South Bay for most of my life and this is my first go at one of Mike's boards, but it's definitely a whole different animal compared to my 5'8" Christenson twin keel fish.

Curious to hear your comments!

IMG_2334.JPG

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  2. Ticowannabe

Ticowannabe Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    no personal experience but i was very interested some years back...seem to be a good number of happy riders

kclibman likes this.
  3. Fishface

Fishface Member

Oct 4, 2012
    Del Mar,CA
    thats wayyyyy too big for you. its gonna be a cork. im 200 and ride a 5'9. you prob need a 5'7 or 5'6. i think its one of the best keel fishes. the CC keel is ranked up there w it in my book.

4. kclibman

kclibman Active Member

May 23, 2018
    L.A. County
    Oh for sure, I know it's way too big - I can see myself unloading it at the end of summer (or sooner) as it's a board I don't mind knocking about and keeping in the truck. My CC is the scalpel and this is more of the rusty butter knife.

I've got a magic '80s Midget Smith twin swallow tail triple stringer (6'8" x 3" x 21.5"), so was kind of looking for similar float in a friendlier, less sentimentally valuable package.

5. Fishface

Fishface Member

Oct 4, 2012
    Del Mar,CA
    sell before labor day

kclibman likes this.
  6. dingdong

dingdong Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    USA California
    fishface knows fish! btw I gotta odyssey blade #1 putter fishface, if you're looking for a new putter :D

7. Fishface

Fishface Member

Oct 4, 2012
    Del Mar,CA
    I'm good on the golf equipment... Upgraded my driver, 3w, wedges and putter. Got that new Ping g400max driver. oh man its good.

dingdong likes this.
  8. JTS

JTS Member

Mar 24, 2005
    IMG_0847fx.jpg I have a Zippi Fish, probably considered too big at 6'2 but I am 59 & 200 lbs, I really like it, one of my favorite fish - i've have had it at least 7-8 years, one of those boards I won't get rid of. I do remember Mike was really great to deal with and finished that board super fast, it was 17 days from telling what I wanted to picking it up at the airport (shipped across country) Ill see if I can find a pic or 2
    Jim

kclibman and dingdong like this.
  9. kclibman

kclibman Active Member

May 23, 2018
    L.A. County
    Whoa, that turnaround is mental! I'm getting it out in the water this afternoon for the first time and if it's not clicking, then it's off to a good home and fellow Jammer. I can't stand keeping a board around that I don't gel with.

10. nasalpassage

nasalpassage New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    Florida
    My Zippi and my Gary Hanel are the two best keel fin fish that I've ever owned. Zippi packs a lot of foam into his boards. At 45 yrs old, 6'1 195 lbs, this 5'9" is almost too big, but as I get older I appreciate the extra foam.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

dingdong and kclibman like this.