You never know when...

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by nedsurf, Jun 16, 2017.

1. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    I've learned one thing, don't take life for granted. You never know when you or someone you know will be gone. Ed TentoesEd John died in his sleep a couple of years ago, no known sickness or issue, just happened, and anyone who met him knew he was a special person in the best way. I stole this picture from Facebook, where family and friends still celebrate his birthday. Many of you older folks knew Ed, I hope you take this as a hint to stay close to people you know and stop the negative and re-enforce the positive in the things we all share. This guy knew how to ride a wave, but to also draw the most from a day at the beach over and above surfing. Aloha Ed.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    matsurfer, Dawnpatrol, Tully and 12 others like this.
  2. 70s SanO

70s SanO Active Member

Feb 16, 2004
    USA California
    Well said. It's funny, at my age when I paddle out I sometimes wonder if this session will be one where I am no longer able to surf; where my balance has somehow evaporated. I am always so thankful after that first wave. It really makes me appreciate just being out there.

Just one more wave Lord, just one more.

John

davey likes this.
  3. surfore

surfore Member

Mar 2, 2004
    USA California
    Thanks Don! And I miss you. Hope to see you on a trip to SD yet to be planned.

I miss mr three first names. I loved chatting with him in the water and out of the water mainly on my drive where we'd talk Pinot, art and the philosophophy of surf. There's a hole n my heart.

And it's through this site that many of these meaningful bonds have been made. Thank you longboard.net!

Stef and Dawnpatrol like this.
  4. Pierpont Scott

Pierpont Scott Member

Mar 2, 2017
    Ventura
    Glad to say I met ed several time , when ever in ventura he would stop by my surf shop . Bummed to hear of his pasding.

5. Killafornia

Killafornia Active Member

Oct 1, 2009
    My wife always asks me "why dont you just sleep in. Why do you get up so early to surf". I tell her "because I can. One day I won't be able to anymore. Than I'll sleep in."
    Seems there's more and more padfle outs the oldet I get.

That's a cool photo of your friend.

6. chris a

chris a Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Per Don's comment. I had the roundabout priveledge to meet and surf with Ed a few times thru others on this board. I said it 10 years ago that he was one the best surfers on the left coast but without the drama or ego. All of that in Santa Cruz which is full of both. He was even an better person on the hard, always stoked and always on the positive. RIP uncle Ed.

Dawnpatrol and surfore like this.
  7. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Active Member

Feb 6, 2015
    4 years ago it's a sunny Saturday, exchanged hellos with some guy who had just paddled, over weight guy around my age who seemed out of breath from the paddle out, caught a wave and headed in. 20 mins later, up on the berm chatting with a friend when we hear yelling, look down and see a woman in street clothes knee deep in the shorebreak, pulling on a face down wet suited body.

We go full run, grab him and drag him onto dry sand, roll him over, its the guy I had exchanged hellos with earlier in the lineup, he's got no pulse, we start CPR and stay on it for the next 15 mins until the local firehouse crew, stationed a mile away, show up and take over, zap him with a defib several times..he's just gone.

The whole time we're working on him, what turns out to be his wife is just standing there, crying. As they load the body up to take it away, she turns to us and sobs out 'yesterday was his last day of work, and this was his first day of retirement. All he had been talking about for the past year was how once retired he was going to surf as many days as he could, and catch up on all the days he missed.'

If you find yourself missing too many of those days because of the life decisions you've made, probably time to make some new ones..life is too damn short not to..

8. deemce

deemce Active Member

May 18, 2010
    USA Pennsylvania
    Surfnfish
    Sorry you had to go through that and that the outcome of your efforts was not a positive one.
    I think when you get closer to retirement, you can't help but think about the number of days left on your clock. I do as I have lost a couple of co workers who past just shy of, or just after, retirement. It has crossed my mind more than once when it would have been easier to go back to sleep than get up in the cold too. That thought motivates me to get up.... and go as I don't know how many days are left on my clock.

9. Basenji703

Basenji703 Active Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I am in the same boat as you deemce, I'll be 68 in November. I am counting down, not up on the time left for me to surf. I will probably never retire, but I've set up my life so that I can surf a fair amount. I've got to surf to keep from going berserk.

10. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    Thank you Don for the remembrance of our buddy. I met Ed through Little Al several years ago. An instant friend that you could connect with. Such a character with a great since of humor. I'll never forget his classic Forum Lesson: Tentoes and the Art of Hedge Surfing! I never laughed so hard. Wish we could resurrect the old Forum and dig up that thread.

I only surfed one time with Ed at 38th Ave and to quote Chris A, "one of the best surfers on the Left Coast without the drama and ego". One time somebody asked him about his Forum name, Tentoes? He replied, cause that's how many I have! :p But...........the picture you posted sez it all, he clocked a lot of hours on the nose with all ten hanging over.

Think of him often when I'm sliding a few.

Chilly Willy and pefa like this.