yikes!

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Couch, May 18, 2018.

1. Couch

Couch Member

Mar 18, 2018
    Santa Barbara
    So here is some "food for thought...." Our friend who owns Coast Chandlery Yacht Sales wanted to see some white sharks he'd been hearing all about off Carpenteria/Summerland beaches so he took his 35' power boat out with his family and saw.......wait for it.....SEVENTEEN juvenile white sharks 6-9' within 30 minutes! He has a ton of pictures/video and I will try to get him to send me a few to post.....time to get a bigger board!

COUCH

Latte and ElBrooklyn like this.
  2. Bighouse

Bighouse Active Member

Feb 21, 2012
    East End, Long Island
    We’re gonna need a bigger boat.

Lackosense likes this.
  3. pintail

pintail Active Member

Feb 19, 2004
    LA, California
    Does he know how many were out there in the last few years, for comparison?

Dawnpatrol, Lackosense and miscreant like this.
  4. Couch

Couch Member

Mar 18, 2018
    Santa Barbara
    The past three years in particular, big increase in small juveniles off SoCal. I personally have only seen one at Leadbetter Point, 10'' or so...not too scary- kept surfing. His pics are unmistakable.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    Dawnpatrol likes this.
  5. pintail

pintail Active Member

Feb 19, 2004
    LA, California
    Yeah, I've read that the population is doing well and growing. I hate that it's at the expense of the local pinniped population. We're not generally at risk with juvies, and I've paddled out after seeing one on a deserted day at a favorite spot.

6. Couch

Couch Member

Mar 18, 2018
    Santa Barbara
    IMG_8590.png

and here it is folks....this is just a guppy at about 8' or so....now add 15 or 16 more this size in an area less than 1/2 mile...and you have yourself a reason to buy a bigger boat...or at least be in one! LOL

7. Bighouse

Bighouse Active Member

Feb 21, 2012
    East End, Long Island
    I would rethink my solo dawn patrols if I lived where you lived. We gots sharks, big ones, but always a mile or two offshore.

8. Couch

Couch Member

Mar 18, 2018
    Santa Barbara
    roger that....every day this week so far my point spot has been filled with seals and dolphins too....not sure why there is so much action lately....had a scare yesterday when one boiled up right beside me (dolphin).....our sharks like to be in shore after crossing half the Pacific when they've pupped and the little ones hang out for months in the warmer inner near shore waters eating rays and such until they are large enough to switch menus.

9. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    Yep! Experts claim (haven't seen the specific literature cited) these 8' critters are juveniles frequenting the beach zone in search of fish, primarily the most abundant leopard sharks. The "theory" is that these GWs are too small to take down sea lions in excess of 1,500 pounds. Hmmmm? Harbor seals weigh a lot less and so do most surfers. An 8' GW is a critter to be respected either during a dawn go out or anytime for that matter. Up here in the PNW we don't or haven't yet seen the juvenile numbers seen off of SoCal. Lots of reasons for this but we do have those 14'-20' GW females that love to frequent rocky headlands in search of haul out areas for pinnipeds in the spring and the fall.

Surfnfish likes this.
  10. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    hot charger in our hood, Tony 'Pez" Perez, has been hit twice by large white's in the same 5 mile stretch...both times during early fall when the salmon have moved inshore and the pinnipeds just outside the lineup hunting them...both times huge bites taken out of the board, while he managed to eject without a scratch...

buy a f'n lottery ticket, Pez..

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    Latte and shadydave like this.