Xiphoid Process pain?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by FalseDawn, Dec 1, 2017.

1. FalseDawn

FalseDawn Member

After injuring my ribs/chest wall years ago in a off-road riding accident, I get pain/discomfort in the Xiphoid process from surfing. Some days worse than others, but I always feel it.

Surfnfish posted a pic of a gel pad in another thread, can't see the pic anymore though :mad:. The gel pad seems like a good solution to mitigate things.

Curious if anyone else experiences it, and if so, what do you use to help? Thanks.

2. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    Friends and I have had similar experiences. Try using a small piece of large cell bubble wrap over the Xiphoid process underneath your wetsuit.

FalseDawn likes this.
  3. jamaj

jamaj New Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Check out rash guards made for spearfishing that have a loading pad. More expensive, but a possible solution.

FalseDawn likes this.
  4. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Active Member

Feb 6, 2015
    have my sympathies - torn cartilage/split rib next to the Xiphoid getting pinned to the reef at G-Land 20 years ago still flares up to this day.. search motorcycle seat gel pads on Ebay, personally like the thinnest for protection that doesn't interfere..
    https://www.ebay.com/i/380821741328?chn=ps
    [​IMG]

FalseDawn likes this.
  5. FalseDawn

FalseDawn Member

Thanks much for the suggestions

6. Freddibetts

Freddibetts Active Member

May 7, 2015
    USA New York
    i took a wrestling suit and sew on a gel bike seat cover - worked pretty well

7. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Would the PaddleAir vest help any?

8. Tenfooter

Tenfooter Member

Nov 12, 2014
    USA Rhode Island
    I can take it out under local anesthesia. It will hurt like a bitch for 2 weeks, but after that, you are good to go. My fees?

4 cans of heady topper . not 6, 4.

FalseDawn likes this.
  9. FalseDawn

FalseDawn Member

Cool....but only if you use a rusty scalpel! I'll knock the other 4pk down before you cut me (if we can find it).

10. DownSouthSlidah

DownSouthSlidah Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Body Glove Chest Wedge

I have low back and neck disk injuries and both rotator cuffs partially torn. The Chest Wedge has mad paddling very comfortable.

Unfortunately, it looks to have been discontinued. Amazon still has the small/medium size - I use the large and it is a bit tight but I am big.

I tried everything I could find - including the paddleair (which does work but I found that I tended to slide around a bit on it and getting the right inflation fir comfort was difficult - your injury simply needs the padding I think so it may well work at a lower inflation for you which won’t slide around like mine).

I’m going hunting for another Chest Wedge now as a back up. They last a long time. The sleeveless is easier to get on and off than the shirt version.

EDIT: looks like another company has taken over production. They are also selling a pad that you can stick under your wetsuit:

https://www.evolvesurf.com/products/

FalseDawn likes this.