WTB: Austin Stubby

Discussion in 'Longboard Surf Buy/Sell/Trade' started by Salinity, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Salinity

Salinity Well-Known Member

May 11, 2016
    USA Rhode Island
    Been pining after one of these for a while, so I thought I'd throw it our there...

2. Lackosense

Lackosense Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2017
    Long Beach, NY
  3. Salinity

May 11, 2016
    USA Rhode Island
  4. kpd73

kpd73 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2013
    USA Rhode Island
    That duo! there is magic in that board- I've seen it in person and it has that Feel.
    pics will give you a general idea but it needs to be seen and held.

Salinity likes this.
  5. Lackosense

Apr 25, 2017
    Long Beach, NY
    Hey @Salinity ...no luck on a stubby? Its one of my favorite boards, but you're welcome to borrow and surf it for a while.
    7'8" x 24x 3 1/4
    SmartSelect_20190129-123535_Instagram.jpg

stevo likes this.
  6. Salinity

May 11, 2016
    USA Rhode Island
    Thanks! I may take you up on that offer at some point, I could lend the duo or v-bottom in its place

Lackosense likes this.
  7. Lackosense

Apr 25, 2017
    Long Beach, NY
    I need to make a trip to RI soon...will keep ya in the loop

8. Salinity

May 11, 2016
    USA Rhode Island
    To those that have surfed a stubby, can you provide any ride report-type info. I'm currently purging all but 2 of the 8 boards I have (had), but leaving a spot in the quiver for something good in the all-to-frequent mushy, onshore sloppy kind of days (among other things) where neither a longboard nor a decent pintail mid-length will do. I thought the stubby with it's upfront width, but pulled in tail would be good in these type of conditions (as well as fun on cleaner days), but having never tried one out, I'm curious what it's really like. I have a 7-8 Austin pintail that I've had for 10 years or so that has ruined me for all mid-lengths I've tried to work in the rotation and I had an epiphany recently that IT'S the board I need to build the rest of the quiver around. So a longboard, the 7-8 and ?... (not really looking to go shorter / less volume at this time).

9. Lackosense

Apr 25, 2017
    Long Beach, NY
    As an owner of a stubby i would say its a very versitile board. Only condition ive found it unfavorable in is a moderate to strong offshore wind. Nose is just too wide for that and gets hung up in the wind. That aside... 24" wide 3+ thick...all the volume lends to easy entry into small waves. Hard railed pintail out the back 2+1 setup gives it enough hold in larger, steeper waves. Round rails from nose down 2/3 of board makes it easy to glide through slop. I've pretty much decided this is a great travel board for me if i can only take one board and conditions are uncertain. Mine is glassed pretty heavy...not sure of exact specs..but its a very durable board.

10. Salinity

May 11, 2016
    USA Rhode Island
    Thanks for the info. Unfortunately that confirms it’s exactly what I’m after (unfortunate because they just are so hard to come by!). I’ll stay on the lookout - I wonder if a larger Takayama scorpion would be similar