World Surf League confirms first public event at Kelly Slater’s wave pool for May 2018

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by dingpatch, Sep 23, 2017.

1. dingpatch

dingpatch Active Member

Apr 2, 2014
    USA Florida
  2. miscreant

miscreant Well-Known Member

May 20, 2016
    I think it'll be as exciting as watching the second hand spin around the clock. Or perhaps as exciting as watching golf. It's going to become some technical arbitrary subjective weirdness.

I want to surf the wave though.

LÜGEN likes this.
  3. Human

Human Active Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Oceanside
    I’m a all for wave pools. What gets me is how there’s a water war in California going on amongst farmers and then Sl8’s just cruises in and builds this thing. I guess the amount of water it uses is only a fraction of what farms use on a regular basis, but I digress.

4. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Did anyone watch the first contest test run they did? The surfing was very good, but it reminded me a little bit of Olympic gymnastics or figure skating -- it almost seemed like there were certain compulsory moves that you have to do at certain parts of the wave. Like if you don't get tubed during the tube section, you might get dinged a few points. And the alley-oop is definitely the triple axel of Olympic surfing: "OH there it is! The alley-oop! Did you see that amplitude?"

PS: I'd still watch it.

LÜGEN likes this.
  5. dingpatch

dingpatch Active Member

Apr 2, 2014
    USA Florida
    Human, the basic reservoir structure, and water, was already in-place when Kelly bought the waterski facility.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  6. LÜGEN

LÜGEN Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Oceanside
    Professional surfing just even more boring. More boring then the air reverse.

7. Human

Human Active Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Oceanside
    Super interesting. I don't know much about the logistics.

8. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    located in the anus of the state..predictable 15 second tube rides followed by aerial gymnastics..scoring controversies "he only got a 9.3 because he didn't point his toes on both feet..judges mainlining caffeine to stay awake as the wave machine recharges, the gap filled by hyper announcers extending awesomeness hyperbole to yet another level..the winners talking about how this is going to take surfing to a whole other level..Kelly beaming like a proud father holding his new born for the first time..

and meanwhile, somewhere on an actual coast, some guy swings a turn, steps up, finds himself in perfect trim through a zippy little section, and hoots with stoke...I'd rather watch him.

michael, Planktom, bonzer and 8 others like this.
  9. Human

Human Active Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Oceanside
    Maybe this is where style will be refined and claims will be mastered.

10. pintail

pintail Active Member

Feb 19, 2004
    LA, California
    I'm guessing that when surfing enters the olympics (I know, yuck, but it's happening), it will be in a wave pool. At least I hope it is. We don't need more contests ruining our surf spots.