Wobbly fin, resin ok?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Speak, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Speak

Speak Member

Jul 17, 2012
    USA California
    Hey everyone,
    I have way too many fins, and they all fit differently in the box.
    My question is, if the fin has slight side to side wobble, but none when it's screwed down really tight, should I bother fixing it? And if so, could/should I just add regular poly resin to the sides of the base?
    I'm one of those neurotic people who is constantly moving the fin around, so I don't want to do something temporary like newspaper or electric tape.
    Any danger to screwing the fin in extremely tight?
    Thanks everyone!

2. cuda

cuda Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2007
    you can do that or just use packing tape added to the sides of the base.

3. fishy82

fishy82 New Member

Jun 2, 2013
    You could break the box if you screw it too tight. Been there done that. Use clear plastic like the ones kids put reports in. Fcs also has little fin box take ups. My fav is business cards.

4. BoardAddict

BoardAddict Active Member

Apr 6, 2015
    USA California
    Danger you could crack the fin box....no bueno!!

5. bc

bc New Member

Feb 16, 2004
    USA
    I use super glue to thicken fins that wobble.
    Resin works too.

If you use super glue, it hardens much much faster in sunlight.

6. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    As Jim Phillips explained to us, the fin base should have a very slight taper as does the box. That is what snugs the fin in there tight. The screw and plate only keep the fin from falling out. It's best not to over tighten the screw. By doing that you put extra stress on the fin tab and can crack or break it. Best to have a snug taper to the sides of the fin base. I prefer to add resin/4oz cloth and shape by hand using 60-80 grit paper on a wood block. Clean the fin box of salt and sand. Then when carefully fitting to the box, rub some parafin on each side for lube.

7. SdSurferguy

SdSurferguy Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    USA
    +1 for business cards

8. little juanito

little juanito Member

Mar 2, 2013
    I've yet to hear it so here goes -- utilizing a caliper I measure the thickness (width) of the fin tang with the jaws of the tool. Then the ID (inner dim.) of the box, yes using the nibs, to accurately figure how much space i'm reckoning with. While taping the fin off I ponder, based on the info gathered, if a schmere of simple catalyzed resin, or resin with milled fiberglass in the mix, or cloth is needed to eliminate the wobble. Add measure sand measure -- ah! A perfect fit. Or you could pack the void with Chef Boyardee meat ravioli. I suppose it might work for a while. I hope this helps.

9. OCSURFER32

OCSURFER32 Active Member

Feb 15, 2004
    West Palm Beach
    Xray film works very nice.

10. OneLove

OneLove Member

Feb 17, 2004
    My favorite daily driver board has a wobbly fin. I've tried other similar fins in that board that don't wobble and I much prefer the wobble.

poor man's flex fin?