Winter Surfing Rituals

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by houseofsuffering, Jan 10, 2019.

1. dingdong

dingdong Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    USA California
    lol, some cities/counties still have laws restricting full nudity or its not a full on strip joint, just a titty bar...and the pasty is the artistic touch or go around the laws...just like a resin dot :D

Planktom likes this.
  2. ElBrooklyn

ElBrooklyn Active Member

Oct 17, 2014
    NYC-EH-MTK and LBC
    My favorite new ideas. Gonna have to try all of these. Thanks Jammers!

• After a few hours of drip dry, roll the suit in a towel to get last bits of moisture out. Put hand towels or rags in boots/gloves. (SeniorGrom)

• Park so that your car shelters you from the wind. (Salinity)

• A cooler to keep water jug warm. (Deemce)

• Thieves aren't a big problem in Montauk, but I love the idea of pre-scouting and installing key stashes. (Chilly Willy)

DJR and houseofsuffering like this.
  3. Roadmaster

Roadmaster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2015
    USA Virginia
    About 20 feet from where I park there are several outdoor electrical outlets, they are located on this big utility box. I figure they are for public access as there are a total of 14, 7 on either side, anyway thats my story and I am sticking to it. So I got and extension cord and a space heater from home, that I never use. I get that thing cranking in the Roadmaster, about 85 summer like degrees, while I suit up, feels nice.

4. kpd73

kpd73 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2013
    USA Rhode Island
    I couldn't read through everything so I apologize in advance for any redundancy-

Smartwool socks- put em on and slip into suit and boots. You'll buy your feet and extra 1/2 hour.
    7mil O'Neill Heat boots- if you can find an old pair of West 8mils -Nice!
    7mil X-cel Drylock mitts

Vaseline for face when air is in teens and single digits

Couple plastic gallons of hot as your tap will go water, wrapped in summer or spring suit and towel.

The moment you get out of the water- Start your car-
    If you have to change outside, cuff the bottom leg of your suit once or twice Above your boots and take one jug of water and pour into neck of suit. Save a bit and pour that over head and into hood and put hood back On. It traps heat really nicely.
    Drink some as well. It works.
    Stand for a moment and breathe slow while your core regulates. The cuffs will trap the warm water in and once you're Normal, just roll em down and let it drain.
    It's a rad wee wee rinse as well.

Gloves for after you take your wetsuit mitts off. Wet bare hands get Brutalized fast.

Have a really warm sleeping bag, jacket, wool hat, gloves, and thorough stash of warm clothes Extra on hand.
    That day ever comes when you're all alone after last light and your car won't start, you'll thank me.

I surf tons of first lights and get in the Ocean to paddle/body surf/play almost every day year round in RI. I LIVE for winter.

Size keeps dudes in the parking lot, but Cold keeps em in bed. Go score.

5. SharkB8

SharkB8 Active Member

Sep 21, 2011
    USA Virginia
    That’s funny roadmaster. Frank was just telling me about that set up this morning at coffee. I haven’t been able to get in the water lately but should be getting back in to the swing of things soon.
    All great ideas so no need to list the same as above. I’m thinking of trying a neoprene face mask that bikers wear. Have thought of this for years and think roadmaster has one or something similar.

6. Roadmaster

Roadmaster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2015
    USA Virginia
    Yes, I have one and only use it on the coldest days. The mask works but feels weird but helps with the wind chill. Mine was intended for snow mobilers, from Amazon and do not cost much

7. houseofsuffering

houseofsuffering Active Member

Nov 1, 2005
    XXX
  8. SharkB8

SharkB8 Active Member

Sep 21, 2011
    USA Virginia
    Ya the bike one is thin. Wondering if it will stay in place or end up as a blindfold or a necklace. Tuesday and Wednesday looks chilly so maybe test it out and if not what I thought then try other options before it’s under 20 degrees.

9. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    Scraping the frost off the windshield before heading North on Surf Route 101!

10. kpd73

kpd73 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2013
    USA Rhode Island
    Thought of a few more things for while you're in the water.

Paddle around during long period waits. Nonsense circles, rotate your legs, keep blood flowing. You stay warm but also if you're riding a shorter board you don't realize how numb your feet/legs may be and will blow the drop on the next good set. In front of everyone. And into freezing water. It's a compound layering of suck.

Take your hood off a moment and splash some Ocean on your head and instantly put hood back on.

The moment you start to feel cold, begin planning your exit strategy. Unlike the fall where you have a casual window, Cold turns to freezing fast, and freezing and f%$#ed pretty much hold hands and smile together.
    Tell immediate vicinity you're going on in on the next good one, whether you have to burn someone or not. Everyone usually understands and this way you get a good wave in, unless you've ignored the previous paragraph. And whether you get a killer wave or eat it, Go In.

The moment your teeth chatter- Paddle In. You're done. Trust me.

michael and Planktom like this.